Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:56:20 AM

Author Topic: Limit Switches  (Read 6798 times)

Limit Switches
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:48:45 AM »
Hi there, to-day I tried to set the limit switches on my 3 axis mill, they seem to work o.k. except when the switch is activated the machine stops and winds back,BUT it does not wind back far enough to de-activate the switches, is there a setting somewhere to have the software to take a few more steps to clear the switches?

Regards

Nick

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Limit Switches
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:59 AM »
Hi Nick,

Mach3 will back off until the switch de-activates.

You are probably, dependant on the quality of your switches, seeing 'switch bounce' which is confusing the issue. This problem can usually be resolved by fitting miniature 0.1uF capacitors between each switch input and GND at your breakout board (or where you have connected the switch wiring to your controller). A secondary solution is to increase the Debounce Interval in Config / General Config.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
Thanks for the info Tweekie, I have solved the problem by adjusting the position of the limit switches and it works fine, All I need now is a step by step instruction on how to set them all up for homing and limits etc.

Regards
Nick

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 05:34:29 AM »
Very short answer is: RTFM
Everything that you need is explained in written form.

Vision impaired people are "guided" across the street, ...
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 06:40:59 AM »
Thanks Zasto, I have read the manual, watched the videos, and yet I have difficulty understanding how the whole process works. I have referenced all the axis as per instructions but it still won't cut in the right direction e.g I will jog it to where I want it to cut, zero the axis, instead of going in the x+ and y+ direction to cut it will actually move to the x- and y- an then start to cut. It is not the lack of reading the manual, but probably lack of understanding how it works.

Nick

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 06:44:17 AM »
In the config screens, possibly ports & pins, there is an option to reverse direction, try flipping that on or off.

I am not in front of Mach at present so I am guessing, but it is there.

Have you got limit switches at both ends of the X & Y axes?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 06:45:38 AM »
If it is homing in the right direction - bottom left corner, then flipping the reverse flag will likely change this. there is another box for homing direction that will likely need doing as well.

Once it is jogging and homing correctly then move on.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 07:20:29 AM »
Hi Davek0974, Yes I have switches at bot ends of the x and y axis, it is actually homing in the right direction e.g bottom left hand corner, it is jogging in all the right directions, but when I move it for example: the work is located at Y=50, X=100, that is the position I want the program to start cutting at, when I hit the cycle run switch it will move in the X and Y negative position and then start to cut, I should have mentioned that I am running Mach3 2010 screen set.

Nick

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »
Hmmm, what does the G-code say?

Does it look logical?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 07:40:02 AM »
The G-code is good, I have run the same code before I changed screen sets, and had no problems with it, it ran from where it was told to run from, and in the right direction too!