Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:10:42 AM

Author Topic: Active and Passive Probing  (Read 3049 times)

Active and Passive Probing
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:00:12 AM »
Hello World,
I'm interested in being able to change modes of probing on a Tormach machine, active to passive, or passive to active, on the fly, that is to say without exiting Mach and using the Config 4.4 utility, and then re-start Mach, obviously a pita if we could find a way around it.
I assume Mach only reads the profile XML file at startup, so in essence we would have to find a way to force this change on Mach's exe, as opposed to it 'finding' the change at startup.
Thank you for your help.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Active and Passive Probing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
What do you mean by active or passive probing ???

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:09:35 AM »
By Tormach's definition, Active probing involves a circuit that is 'made' when the probe makes contact, that uses a N.O. switch, that is used on one axis only, such as a tool setter.  Their Passive probe is wired differently since it is sensing any one of three axes, using a N.C. switch, and 'breaks' the circuit on contact.  A probe of this type is typically used for digitizing an existing part, or edge finding.
Some users use both types of probes and Tormach does makes a software utility for switching from one mode to the other, but the user must exit Mach to make the change, obviously an unwanted extra step.  See their document TD10088 on the subject. TD10088: Passive Probe Installation Instructions
I was hoping to find a way to change modes on the fly, as to not have to shut down Mach, and reboot it in order to make this change.  But it is my belief that Mach only reads the profile XML file once at startup which governs which mode is used, so basically I'm looking for a way to 'force' Mach to acknowledge this change without closing and re-opening it.
Any ideas?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 07:14:33 AM »
Sorry, that link did not work, try http://www.tormach.com/documents.html, document TD 10088

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
OK that is pretty much not going to happen.

ALL your probes SHOULD be the same as to N.C. switch function (safest). The other type (NO)came about because people would not spend the time and/or money to do it correctly.

THAT problem was solved in MACH 4 you can have multiple probes and DEFINE the operation of each one.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:40:32 AM by BR549 »