Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:58:53 PM

Author Topic: Parametric Variables Table??  (Read 5159 times)

Parametric Variables Table??
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »
I'm wondering if there is a table somewhere, which I cannot seem to find, of the variables Mach 3 uses.  I often find myself machining cast parts that will vary in thickness.  As such it's difficult to machine them consistently.  I've come up with a simple electronic circuit that uses the tool and G31 to sense the top of the part and then say drill a screwhole with countersink to a depth below that measured height.  The fixture holding the part is insulated from the vise, the circuit uses the probe input.  It works great.  The code is;

G00 (to just above the part)
G31 (to touch the part, completing the circuit, about 20 microamps flows through the spindle bearing at about 6 or so volts)
#101=#2002 (transfers system variable for the Z axis height on touch to a user variable)
G01 Z[#101-0.405] (0.405 is the depth to drill a perfect screwhole)

The problem is I cannot use coolant with my current system as it conducts electricity and will give a false reading or error.  I have a new situation that I must use coolant.  I want to cut a slot using a sidemill into a part that also varies in thickness (Z height varies). I can manually touch off on the top and bottom of it.  Slow but should give consistent results.  I would like the Gcode to be able to use the current Z position in it's calculations, which of course would make it a lot easier than doing the calculations by hand and then entering them into the Gcode each time I machine a part.

The problem is that #2002 seems to only be set by a G31 function, which won't work in this situation because of the coolant.  Is there a system variable that can be accessed that has the current Z value?

I'd prefer a list of all variables if there is one.

Thanks,  If anyone is interested I can do a write up on my circuit.  It's quite simple.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:30:58 PM by Neplusultra »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Parametric Variables Table??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:12:05 PM »
There is no list of all of them. The manual lists the variable for all the work offsets, but I'm not sure if any others are documented.

If you do a search here, you may find a few more.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
There is no list of all of them. The manual lists the variable for all the work offsets, but I'm not sure if any others are documented.

If you do a search here, you may find a few more.

Thanks ger21, there must be someone some where, or some way of finding out what this variable is.  Do you or anyone else know where I might find it.  I'm specifically looking for the variable that is the current Z position.

It would make my life simpler if I can find it.  Does Artsoft answer questions like this?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »
NO such thing that I am aware of and I HAVE searched every known variable there is in MAch3 looking for them. IF you find it please let us know. I have a search routine that gets the values of every known Gcode variable .

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »
NO such thing that I am aware of and I HAVE searched every known variable there is in MAch3 looking for them. IF you find it please let us know. I have a search routine that gets the values of every known Gcode variable .

(;-) TP

Can you tell me more, or provide the list?  I'd be very interested.

Thanks,

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
Most that have any known meaning are listed in the Mach3 manual.

Other wise I plug in a value in a DRO somewhere and then go LOOK for it to show up in the Variable report

(;-) TP

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 04:34:15 AM »
Try #5023
Without engineers the world stops

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
Hiya Graham, Here with values in XYZA DROs the #5023 is empty Zero. Checking with both the Mach VAR monitor and my Var Report.

(;-) TP

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 04:46:18 AM »
Worth a try, that is where is should be, I guess it got lost in some update  ;)
Without engineers the world stops