Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:40:42 AM

Author Topic: Old MAXNC 10 newbie questions  (Read 17480 times)

Old MAXNC 10 newbie questions
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »
Some years ago I bought a MAX-NC 10. 

From memory the software was for DOS, maybe WIN95 or 98.   I never used it but a friend did for a few small jobs.   I am now wanting to get the MAX-NC 10 out of mothballs and use it to cut small wood and soft metal parts in my small home workshop.  Will MACH 3 drive the MAX-NC-10 or is there something else?  Is TurboCAD compatible (makes DXF files just fine).  I use TurboCAD 11 for 2D drawing and previously used it to generate files for a ShopBot I had back when I had a big home workshop so I am not a complete novice but pretty close. 

I have not yet found a newbie forum here - so much to look at.  Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers
BrianT

Re: Old MAXNC 10 newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:08:08 PM »
I think the best thing to do is start watching the video's and see if that helps....
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
MAXNC 10 pinout issues
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 05:50:02 AM »
thank you Brian Barker for the tip.  I have viewed a couple of the videos and loaded the Mach 3 program.  Yes I rebooted after installation.  I have plugged in my old MAX-NC-10 and all that happens is the spindle motor takes off and the X, Y and Z steppers remain dormant and de-energised. 

I think I need to assign the printer port pins to the respective MAX-NC-10 pins.

I do not recall receiving any wiring information with the MAX-NC-10 when I bought it - just a floppy of the driver code - it came assembled.  Can anyone point me to where I can find the appropriate mapping of MACH 3 settings to MAX-NC-10 hardware pins.

BTW,  what is the MAX-NC-10 "WAVE DRIVE" tick box in the configuration screen?

thanks
Brian

MAX-NC pin outs
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 06:23:49 AM »
I bought my MAX-NC-10 in October 1998.  The words "wave drive" were never mentioned as far as I can recall.

I discovered the FTP downloads and have got the MAXNC.GIF file.  Does anyone know if this matches the older MAX-NC pinouts?

Cheers
Brian
Re: Old MAXNC 10 wiring issues
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 07:13:19 AM »
I have dismantled the MAX-NC-10 control box and it looks to me that the MAXNC.GIF wiring drawing on the FTP site is correct for my 1998 version MAX-NC-10.  It looks like there is no software spindle motor control - no big deal for me.

My current problem is I cannot see how to map these input pins to the MACH 3 software.  I can load the MACH3MILL program and the Port & Pins config screen.  I can check the MAX NC-10 Wave Drive box but there is nowhere I can see that the actual parallel port ever gets set.

Are there any MAX-NC-10 users out there that can throw some light on this please??

Thanks

Brian

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:41:07 AM »
Under the ports and pins that there is a tab for motor outputs. Under that you can set the pin number that mach will send the S&D out over. You also will need to check Sherline mode to get it running

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:32:52 AM »
thanks Brian but still no joy.

I can select Config from the drop down menu and set MAXNC Wave Drive mode ON.  I can also set Sherline 1/2 step mode.  I hit 'apply' and then restart the program. 

When the program comes back up I can check the \config\motor output\  and I still only get one pin for step and one pin for direction.  Sherline on or off makes no visible difference.

Cheers
Brian
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:54 AM »
Look at the pic's and you will see where the Tab is and in the next pic it shows you where the settings are after you press the tab.

Hope that helps
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 11:09:15 PM »
Some years ago I bought a MAX-NC 10. 

From memory the software was for DOS, maybe WIN95 or 98.   I never used it but a friend did for a few small jobs.   I am now wanting to get the MAX-NC 10 out of mothballs and use it to cut small wood and soft metal parts in my small home workshop.  Will MACH 3 drive the MAX-NC-10 or is there something else?  Is TurboCAD compatible (makes DXF files just fine).  I use TurboCAD 11 for 2D drawing and previously used it to generate files for a ShopBot I had back when I had a big home workshop so I am not a complete novice but pretty close. 

I have not yet found a newbie forum here - so much to look at.  Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers
BrianT

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »
Hey Brian T,
     Are you making any progress?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!