Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:25:03 AM

Poll

Should I remove the gallery ?

Yes
2 (9.5%)
No
19 (90.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Should I remove the gallery ?  (Read 5410 times)

ynneb

Should I remove the gallery ?
« on: March 14, 2007, 03:43:42 AM »
It seems the gallery is not that popular.
Should it be removed ?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Should I remove the gallery ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »
I didn't know there was a gallery here. Just my opinion, but it seems there are far too many menu options here.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:43:49 PM »
No Benny, I don't think so. I just wish it were used more. It might help if the tool bar was more noticeable. Maybe make the buttons bigger.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 03:04:53 AM »
Benny,

No, I think you should keep it.

I agree with the previouspost that the row of buttons including the gallery link is very small., and might simply be overlooked...

Ballendo
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 09:02:41 AM »
I just found the gallery for the first time.  Interesting.

It could be be that the label is misleading since it says "All machinery related..."  Sounds like it could be restricted to machinery related pics and not projects (despite the fact there are projects included).  But, and it is only one shop guy's opinion, it appears to be redundant given we have "Show and Tell," serving the same purpose.  One or the other could be eliminated.  Your choice.

And, I second previous posters' thoughts that the button is so small it could (was in my case) be overlooked.

Bob @ BobsShop - I enjoy looking and watching!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »
Didn't know it existed.

ynneb

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 03:15:59 AM »
Good points about the buttons and labels. I will make some changes.
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 09:38:59 AM »
Sorry for being a bit vague in my other post. I think you need to consolidate some of the menus, though. Seems like finding stuf here can be difficult for new users, because there are so many menu options.

The documentation shouldn't be listed under tutorials. Probably should be the other way around.

Poking around in the menu as I write this, I really hate it. (sorry Benny ;) ) Why does the Artsoft menu seem to duplicate stuff in the other menus. Consolidate everything so there are no duplicate menu items. I'd vote to get rid of the menus and put links to  specific pages. Put all the downloads on one page. Put a link to the gallery right at the top of the page.

I just realized what the problem with the menu system is. It's fine for an app, where you use the menu to find or select a specific tool. But on a website, who is going to look through a menu system to find stuff they don't know is there (Like the gallery). People use the menu to find what they are looking for. If they are not looking for the gallery, they'll never find it.

I also don't like the 3 drop down menus to get to the forum. Just put a single link to the main forum page. Simple is far better.

Sorry, just had to add my 2 cents.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Tarak

•  229 229
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 02:53:08 AM »
I never noticed it either, great idea, I'll post pictures sortly.

ynneb

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 01:00:39 AM »
Good points Gerry. ( Sorry for the late response, I wasn't sure quite what to answer when I first read it, then forgot to come back to it)
There are reasons for the way it has evolved, some of them for appeasing the boss and other interested parties too.
Trying to merge the forum with the artsoft site has also been a little difficult. I thought the drop down menu might have helped that.
I think its time to rethink the whole setup. I think the end result will not have every thing to every ones liking, but I will try and find a happy medium.