Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:39:16 PM

Author Topic: Limit switch problem  (Read 5129 times)

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Limit switch problem
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »
Hi,
I have a 1830 and OPTO ICM-2900 used for 3 axis milling machine using Mach3 for control.

I gave up on trying to use optical limits and have reverted to using Honeywell GLDB01A1B Mechanical limits.

I have these wired Normally closed 2 switches per axis.
I currently only have the X axis motor and Limits connected to confirm 1 Axis at a time.

I have used a 12v isolated power supply. Connected +12v to LSCOM and ran -12v to one side of my X axis forward limit and x reverse limit.

The other side of the switch is wired to the RLSX and FLSX on the ICM-2900

In Mach when I try to test after config plug in to active low and setting the ports and pins correctly I get Message next to Reset button Press reset Emergency mode active. If I push reset once I can hear motor thump but error message remains. And motors will not move if issued a manual move.

If I uncheck the config Galil Limits Active Low box in the Galil plugin the error message will go away after first click of reset and motors will move, but limits will not work.

I have been reading extensivley, but can not find a way to test limits within Smart Term could someone please help!

I have tried the
LFX command and the MG command but I must be missing part of the command because I get :
If i issue the TS command the first time I got 35,35,35 now I get 47,47,47 every time

In DMC TERM if I issue the SH command I can move the motors.

Sorry this was so long, I was trying to give Enough Data

Thanks,
Joe

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Re: Limit switch problem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »
Got my limits to work,but only in Normally Open mode.
Tried to config Galil for active low with Command CN -1 and running the BN command afterwards.
But it will not work.

I kept getting the galil limit switch error. I will call Galil on Monday unless any of you guys can see what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »
LSCOM to -12v.  That will reverse the polarity of the signal.  One wire from RSLX/FLSX to one pole of the NC switch and the other pole to ground. Then play with the active low check box until it works.    That should do it. 

Steve

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
LSCOM to -12v.  That will reverse the polarity of the signal.  One wire from RSLX/FLSX to one pole of the NC switch and the other pole to ground. Then play with the active low check box until it works.    That should do it. 

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I am a little confused. If hook -12v to LSCOM would I not have to hook One wire from RSLX/FLSX to one pole of the NC switch and the other pole to 12v + to complete circuit?

Thanks,
Joe

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:11:40 PM »
It is not you that is confused!  What you said is correct.  You can test this in the Galil terminal and using the watch window.  If LSCOM is positive, the data record will show one way with a NC switch as opposed to when LSCOM is negative.  I can't remember which way it goes at the moment, so you will just have to test and see.

Look at the limit in the watch window when you have it wired LSCOM to +12v and hook a NC switch up to it.  If limit switch is 1, then CN needs to be configure accordingly.  CN is configured with the limits active low check box in the plugin.  Because when the switch is depressed, the limit switch value in the watch window should go to 0.  And vice verse.  Once this is set so the Galil sees what you want, then you may have to reverse the polarity of the signal for that limit switch in Ports and Pins.  Negate is what it is called, I believe.  At some point, you will get both Mach and the Galil to agree on the switch configuration.

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
BTW, there is/was a pretty good explanation of this in a thread on this forum somewhere.  Finding it is the problem.

Steve

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:15:58 PM »
Thanks Steve,

Yes finding things is the problem. I have finallly resorted to making a bookmark everytime I come across things that seem vital.

Joe