Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:15:27 AM

Author Topic: Help sort- going in circles - need a compass  (Read 2226 times)

Help sort- going in circles - need a compass
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:12:11 AM »
Hi Forum,
Using mach 3 with shoreline  3ax mill and have some questions i seek answers and or guidance:

I have followed the videos but i may be missing something (excuse the lack of understanding but thats why i am here)

1. I wish to set the 'home' coordinates for the mill - is this possible by moving (keyboard) and establish as home position?
2. moved the tool to the top edge of the material (via keys) and rest as zero for material datum point, when I regen the position returns back to centred location - what am i missing here?
3. after reviewing videos i noticed my z axis - as those of XY as well is set for 100.00  -100.00 (200mm travel) whiz is the best way to approach this?

in simple terms I look to set the home position - soft limits and material offsets but not having much luck and now i am totally confused (Even which order these should be achieved?)
Re: Help sort- going in circles - need a compass
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »
Set your machine zero (check in Offsets Tab) at full positive travel of all axes using the Right Hand Rule, bear in mind that this references Tool Travel -

http://www.tadesite.com/article_pic/cnc-Dia.jpg

You can then set Tool Offsets that deal with the length of tooling from a fixed datum point such as your quill face, set your edge/surface finder first and use your edge/surface finder to get values with which to Set Home Offsets where you want your general working zero offset to, I'm currently using table surface centre of travel. Then use your finder to define Work Offsets that account for the height and position of your vice or fixture.

Home swithches are absolutely brilliant, with Home Offsets set all you then need is a Ref All Home and you're ready to select tool and work offsets and pick up where you left off before powering everything down the day before,

Regards,
Nick

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:52:06 AM by magicniner »
Re: Help sort- going in circles - need a compass
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
Wonderful thanks,  I will give it a try
Sounds like I need some home switches for my sherline