Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:44:35 AM

Author Topic: Need help with spindle relay  (Read 5263 times)

Need help with spindle relay
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
Having a problem getting the spindle relay to turn on.  It's not a software issue,.  Mach3 will turn the spindle signal on and off on output 1, pin 2.  The problem is the breakout board will not hold 5 volts to trigger the electronic relay.  Without the relay connected it goes high to 5 volts.  With the relay connected the voltage drops to 2 volts and the electronic relay needs a 3 volt minimum to trigger.  Turned up the power supply to 6 volts and the output on pin 2 is still not enough but almost reaches the 3 volt minimum.  If I put 5 volts on the electronic relay it will trigger and turn on so I know it's not the relay.  Is there anyway to increase the output voltage on a breakout board?  Maybe placing two outputs together?  Any comments or suggestions would be a great help at this point.
Re: Need help with spindle relay
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »
It is not the voltage that is the problem it's that the current draw from your relay is too high and pulls the voltage down too much.  Not sure what kind of relay you are using but you need one with a lower input current.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 03:37:25 AM »
One of the least complex ways to go would be to use a micro-relay driven by the board & use that to switch 5v to power your spindle relay.

- Nick

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »
by "electronic" relay do you mean an SSR (solid state relay)?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:03:25 AM »
Yes its a SSR. 
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
I had a similar problem & used one of these http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18683  I'm somewhat electronically challenged and wasn't sure if it's OK to switch a relay with a relay but did it anyway.  Made sense to me at the time and it works fine.  Good to see that it's OK as verified by someone here!

I picked up this http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19471 to mount it on and some of these http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19462 to connect to with.  I felt slightly less E/challenged after successfully completing the hookup. ::)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »
Yes its a SSR. 
In that case you *may* be able to drive it straight from TTL in current sink mode (sounds like you're doing it current source mode). i.e. instead of having the SSR inputs connected to pin and ground, connect them to 5V and pin. Change the pin in Mach to active low. To be sure you might want to post a link.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
I am a little confused.  When you say connect them to the 5V do you mean the +5V on the power supply and to pin 2 on the breakout board then change the change the pin 2 in mach 3 to active low? .  Also what is TTL? 

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 03:33:52 AM »
Yes

ignore TTL (Transistor Transistor Logic) - I should have just said "your output".
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »
Relay triggers, spindle turns on and off,  Thanks everyone for your help.