Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:32:13 PM

Author Topic: motor tuning issue  (Read 2673 times)

motor tuning issue
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:06:45 PM »
sort of a loaded question here, I had to do a retrofit on an old plasma table finally got it up and running/cutting. problem is I cut out some round pucks to see accuracy (which use to be within .015") and at 1.00 it was .015 big but when I got to 3.00 it was .19 big and at 5.000 it was .27 big (and I imagine it grows exponentially from there.

I'm using 2000 steps per rev in the motor tuning setup and I imagine that's what will have to be more accurate. the problem with getting more accurate is I have no info. on this machine (I can figure out the pulley gear ratio) but there is no info on the stepper motors I am using (not even a brand name) and I'm not sure there is a way of figuring out how many steps per revolution are actually on this motor... or if anyone thinks they have a better idea of my problem I am certainly open to suggestions!
Re: motor tuning issue
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »
In that case, you can use the Auto Axis Calibration utility on the Settings screen. (Mill screen, not sure if it's on Plasma screen)

Basically, make a precision mark, command a long move then enter the actual movement.
Should get you as close as you can measure.
Russ
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:14:16 PM »
Yep, its there on the Plasma Settings screen. Lower left corner.

Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:58:32 AM »
Stepper motors are usually 1.8 degree although 0.9 degree are also around. I would say however that 1.8 degree (200 steps per rev) is the most likely, you will also need to check what microstepping your drives are set to.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »
Those errors aren’t linear on the three cuts. It doesn’t sound like a “steps per” issue. Is the kerf the same on all cuts?