Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:58:48 PM

Author Topic: Homing table location on Lathe and Mill  (Read 1923 times)

Homing table location on Lathe and Mill
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »
I'm mounting homing switches on a 3 in 1 machine.  I the homing without switches document in user documents for the lathe suggests the table position to be furthest to the right and furthest away from you when home.  The lathe document shows the suggested table location somewhere between the left and right movements and also the movement toward and away from the user.

Is there a somewhat standard place to home the Lathe with respect to table location?  I'd like to make the same location home for both the Lathe and Mill so I only need one home switch for each position, although on the Lathe that is the furthest I can be away from the spindle.  It's not a very large machine, so that isn't a huge issue. 

Just wondering if there is a somewhat standard position.

Another Lathe question:  I read somewhere that zero on the X for the Lathe should be center of the spindle, +X towards you, -X away from you.  Any reasoning for this, or is it a standard way to work with a lathe?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Homing table location on Lathe and Mill
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
You can home to where you wish on either, so if it makes more sense to home to a certain place then that is fine.

Regarding X0 on the lathe, this is referring to work offset X0 and it is set up via tools so that when you call XO for any tool the tool would move to centre. That means (if in Dia mode) you told the X to go to X2 then the dia of the material after you cut it would be 2 units diameter.
Hood