Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:21:07 PM

Author Topic: 3D printing with Mach 3, who is doing it?  (Read 8991 times)

Re: 3D printing with Mach 3, who is doing it?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 05:26:06 AM »
Even though I'm disappointed that Mach3 isn't suitable, I'm glad that I now know for sure.

Is there some particular reason you prefer the "delta" (inverse kinematics) design to the cartesian? Just interested in the design choice.
I guess the main reason was predominately based on the build materials that we had at hand.
The Delta platform allows for a taller build of objects and when we first saw a video of a working Delta, it just seemed a much more elegant design. It will be a nice challenge as I've already successfully built a cnc router which is a standard X,Y,Z,A platform.
Another reason that I liked, was the fact that all 3 of the axis motors have to deal with the same forces, as opposed to a cartesian design where one motor has to deal with the weight of the whole gantry and the other motors have lesser weights etc.
And the last reason is that Delta's look much cooler and are a little different.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 05:39:11 AM »
Fair enough - should be fun. You probably know this already but LinuxCNC may be an option for you then.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
I have a cartesian machine in the form of a cnc mill with extruder head.  The delta style in theory can provide greater accuracy at higher speeds for printing.  I am building a large one with a friend and we will see if that holds true as they get  bigger. This one will have a circular work envelope 22" in diameter and 25" tall. Also it is somewhat easier to have a heated build chamber as the motors can be below the chamber and not heated by it.