Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:32:13 AM

Author Topic: Motor tuning in Mach Turn  (Read 3274 times)

Motor tuning in Mach Turn
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:44:03 PM »
Hello all;

I recently upgraded my Unimat SL1000 to CNC and installed Mach 3. Using the online documentation and tutorial videos, I had no problem setting up Mach Mill with my computer/lathe(mill)/TB6560 board. Everything came together nicely and sounds awesome.

Mach turn is another story... because I tuned in Mach Mill first I tried to carry over the tuning settings in Mach Turn; but no matter what I try, the motors sound horrible. Since it works fine in Mill... I am guessing it's a setup issue with Turn, but I can't figure out what is wrong.

I searched the forums for a tutorial on Mach Turn and couldn't find anything... if someone has any ideas or can direct me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative.

cheers;

Alan.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Motor tuning in Mach Turn
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »
I too have wondered why there is no axis calibration tool with the lathe profiles. In the past I have used a profile of a modified mill profile (running the X & Z axis just for the tuning parameters, copy them and use them on my lathe profile) I am sure there is a way to add features on screens and such to include the calibration tool but it more involved than I understand.

Knowing my luck, I would figure out how to do it and Mach 4 would be released the next day!
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 02:48:58 AM »
There is no difference at all between Mill and Turn settings with regard to motor tuning.

If this is on the same computer then it should work fine.

Is this the same hardware or is it different hardware? What I mean is are you using your mills drives/motors etc and setting it up as a lathe or is this different drives/motors etc? If it is different then make sure the drives are set to the correct settings. It may even be possible for you to swap over drives from one machine to the other to see if the problem follows the drives, the TB drives are notorious for being poor quality with some running fine and others not.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
I'm using the same hardware and PC. The only difference is whether it's Mill or Turn.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 01:48:26 PM »
Ok, copy your Mill xml to your desktop, rename it then paste it back into the Mach3 folder. Open the renamed profile and go to View then Load Screens and choose the lathe screenset (1024.lset), close Mach then reopen and you now have a lathe profile with the exact same setup that your mill one had.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »
Tks Hood!!!

Worked perfectly!!!

Except... the motor hums along... but the DRO for the X-axis doesn't increment up or down. The Z-axis is working correctly.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 11:48:02 PM »
NM... fixed the problem. Was something odd in the hotkeys. They were all set to 999

Tks again!@!!