Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:16:57 AM

Author Topic: ESS and Pokeys  (Read 5730 times)

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
ESS and Pokeys
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
i have the ESS installed with latest mach and plugin version. i also have a pokeys connected to the same computer. with the later pokeys version i got the fault as in the pictures. i asked pokeys and the told me they do no development for mach3 anymore????

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
ESS and Pokeys
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:56:15 AM »
Are they getting ready for Mach4?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
ESS and Pokeys
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »
Tan, I think I have seen a few of your Emco conversions lately. Are you tantaninc on YouTube?
   I am really curious on how and what encoders/pots you were using to control feed rate over ride and the step size? The pot/encoder appeared to have a push button feature built in.

Are you trying to use an Ethernet Pokeys and ESS at the same time or is your Pokeys USB?

Is there a reason not to use the Pokeys for the axis control? I am trying to set up a lathe and want a few more I/O's but don't mind running my axis' via my MX3660 via a PP.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
Re: ESS and Pokeys
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 02:52:36 PM »
yep, they are working hard to get their plugins ready for mach3.

i use encoders with build in switches. pokeys is usb. i have not tested yet with pokeys pulse engine.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
ESS and Pokeys
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:39:16 PM »
I was under the impression Pokeys is available USB or Ethernet. I am not interested in the pulse engine, just extra I/O's I think.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
   Just curious as to why the need for the pokeys the more I study it (since you already have the ESS). With a total of 3 potential ports with the ESS did you need more I/O's? Can the other available ports of the ESS mimic or do the same things as the Pokeys? Or does the Pokeys deal with or distribute signals in a different way?

I do like the graphical interface of the PoBlocks software from what I have seen but is it a true advantage over the SS? (only referring to an ESS).

At this moment I am barely using the entire 1st port. Btw I too am running an ESS on this machine (though only if spindle indexing, rpm  and backlash comp can be implemented in Mach 4) I do want to add an MPG (2 pins if I understand correctly), an axis selector (2 axis, therefore I am guessing 2 pins) and a resolution value .1, .01, .001, .0001 (again guessing 4 pins).
So if i am anywhere close to understanding this, I will need to use an additional 8 pins (input). Am I close?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:25:15 PM by Fastest1 »

Offline tantan

•  130 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
hi,

pokeys is perfect for hmi, it has a powerfull plugin in mach3 to quickly define userfunctions to i/o. the poblocks is a wonderfull piece of enginering. ESS is wonderfull too but in a different way.