Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:20:09 AM

Author Topic: newbie emco lathe retrofit  (Read 2455 times)

newbie emco lathe retrofit
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:03:39 AM »
Hello All,
I am currently retrofitting a emco lathe 55 and don't know the best way to make the 6 tool turret work. The current system using a 12v motor and a optic sensor for position. First question can I use this system? I have read that  people are changing it to a nema 17 stepper motor. What would be the easiest way to make it function correctly? I have also read posts on a macro to make it work right. Just need some guidance.

Thanks

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: newbie emco lathe retrofit
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:15 AM »
   Welcome to Mach and the new challenge. I would also join a site called CncZone (both are great places to share this info). They have a few builds of this machine over the years. Are you sure it is a 12v motor? Does it have pawls? I just cant imagine how it would stop. I have a 6 tool changer on a Dyna DM3000. It runs a stepper, pawls and solenoid. The only way I have run it or seen others run it is in 1 direction and then back up into the pawl. It claims it is bidirectional and I am hooking up the solenoid to be relay controlled to do just that. Then the tool change script will have to modified.

Post pictures too, we like them and it is nice to see progress when you look back at this. And to help others. Anyway, hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:00:02 AM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
  So I checked the guru of all information otherwise known as YouTube.
I would guess that tool changer is stepper driven. All of the videos sounded that way. I did see a few Mach conversions so I am guessing you can do it. Regarding the need to change to steppers etc. Many times these machines had early round bodied steppers. These are not thought of as the strongest by todays standards. That being said, you can sure get the machine up and running very accurately before needing to get modern steppers (if money is tight). If it is your first foray into CNC and or machining, rapid speeds wont be your friend yet anyway. 20-30 inches a minute can make the EStop look really far away when chaos is obvious ;-) If you dont understand that last joke, it is only a matter of time til you will. Here is a guy running Mach, try posting on his video. Most likely a member here and at the Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfExXGnr7LY
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »
You could likely use the original setup but all depends on exactly how it is done and how good you are with VB script as you will need to write a macro. With a stepper the turret could be set up as a rotary axis and although you will still need to write some VB for the M6Start macro it would likely be easier to do.

Hood