Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:08:58 AM

Author Topic: Servo drive as main spindle  (Read 10758 times)

Servo drive as main spindle
« on: February 19, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to get a servo motor to be the main spindle on my denford triac retrofit.
The driver accepts step/dir as input so I've assigned it to port 5 on my CSMIO/IP-S under spindle -> special functions -> spindle axis. (attachment spindle-setup-csmio.jpg)

Input pins on the driver are:
PV (I guess enable?) connected to output5/pin 18
PP+ (pulse) connected to step5+/pin 12
PP- (pulse) connected to step5-/pin 25
PD+ (direction) connected to dir5+/pin 11
PD- (direction) connected to dir5-/pin 24

Where do I set so that output 5 goes high when the spindle is started (M3/M4)?

Regards,
Jens

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Servo drive as main spindle
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:43:51 PM »
You dont set anything other than you need to connect the step/dir to the channel you are using. Dont have the manual handy so not sure if  the pins you mentioned above are for channel 5 but if they are it will work.
You will also however need to enable the spindle in Ports and Pins and also in the above screenshot you will need to set the pulses per rev (steps per rev). Your accel is set above to 10, that will mean it talkes 10s to get to max RPM
You will also probably need to set the Max RPM in Config menu Spindle Pulleys.

If that doesnt get you working shout back and I will dig up the manual.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »
The settings have been changed but it still won't start.  ???

Attached is also the controller manual in chinese/engrish if that makes any sense to you.

I can though get the motor to spin using the PN045 (rpm) and PN046 (accel) along with FN002 jog commands, so something is working :)

Anyway thanks for taking the time!

Regards,
Jens

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:00:13 AM »
You dont need Port and Pin numbers set for the spindle in Motor tuning, so I would set them to Zero. Dont think that will be the problem but definitely best to have them that way.
The Jog you mention would seem to be internal in the drive, if that is what you are meaning then it will jog with that method no matter how you have Mach set up, so its not really a good test. Check you have the parameters set correctly for position mode, just had a quick look and PN-00 seems to need set to 2 and PN-01 to 0

I will try and remember to look at the wee lathes setup to double check there is not something needed in Mach.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:32:47 AM »
Only other thing I can think of is you do need to have spindle enabled on the Spindle Setup page of Ports and Pns.

See screenshot.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 06:31:28 AM »
I got it working!! (sort of)

The motor is "enabled" by the SigIn 1 pin. Its enabled by just connecting it to either gnd or 5v though.
Another thing is when in M3 and i stop it with M5 it stops the motor and then reverses for 3-4 revelations before stopping totally.
That doesn't happen with M4 but it takes a bit longer for it to stop though.

Regards,
Jens

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55:17 AM »
It should not reverse at all, sounds like it may be a tuning issue in your drive.
Only other thing it could possibly be is that you have it set to stop at a set position (In CSMIO plugin) but even if you he that it should not rotate more than a revolution.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »
After I enabled the Align at Stop and then disabled it again it now stops correctly with M5.
It doesn't seem that mach3 motor tuning affects this at all. Even disabling the spindle in motor outputs has no effect (still works).

Thanks for the help Hood!

Regards,
Jens

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »
No motor tuning in Mach has no effect on the spindle, I was actually meaning the tuning in the servo drive.
Good you got it working :)
Hood

Offline KMX

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 03:28:38 PM »
Hello!

Do I need a threading module if I use servo motor for spindle that in driven with STEP/DIR pulses from CSMIO-IP/S controller?

Regards, Denis