Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 04:59:50 AM

Author Topic: Modbus / MPG help...  (Read 14332 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Modbus / MPG help...
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 07:18:18 AM »
Makes me wonder if the macropump is actually not being used at all. If it IS then it seems whacky to use keyboard emulation for some keys and the macropump for others - doesn't make sense.

Ian

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:01 AM »
I think the ModIO is being used for the MPG so it makes sense to also use the analogue Ins for the axis select. Peter used a rotary switch with resistors soldered  between positions and that allowed him to read multiple positions on one analogue input. Mach was short of I/O back in the old days as you know and it was a way that worked well.
HotKeys I have never liked, I have used them when it was the only option but I had a real disdain for them and was glad when I could move on to real inputs.
 I think why they are using a mix is the ModIO just doesnt have enough inputs for all that is done on that pendant, could be wrong though as it has been a long long time since I looked at ModIO.

Hood

Edit
 Oh and yes the MacroPump will be needed, the ModIO interface only gets the analogue ins to Mach but something has to tell Mach what they are for, could be the macropump or a Brain but Macropump works well for things like that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:10:10 AM by Hood »

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
OK - cheers - still seems like a dog's breakfast to me  ;D

Ian

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »
I think it outlines how flexible mach is under the hood, this is a dirt-cheap pendant clone and with a minor tweak it's now working well.

Clever stuff, thanks for the assistance.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 01:56:26 PM »
Ian, I agree, it is a mixed up method but the limit of inputs via the ModIO interface likely makes them have to do it that way for the Hotkey part of things, still much preferable in my opinion than having all the buttons via Hotkeys and also no way to do MPG via HotKeys.
It would be much better if it was similar to a PoKeys with real I/O but I suppose the Chinese havent worked out how to rip off the PoKeys plugin yet ;D

Hood