Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:17:16 AM

Author Topic: Step and Direction pulse width?  (Read 4434 times)

Step and Direction pulse width?
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
Using the external pulse generator, what can I expect as the step and direction pulse widths? I would also like to know if these are active low or active high pulses and how I can change that if possible. I ask this because the documentation says that the settings are ignored in the motor tuning screen, and the ports and pin screen but the drives I am using seem to be finicky.  I can run at slow speeds,  50ipm with an accel of 10 but if I try to use 100ipm with the same accel the motors miss steps and shutter.  My steps per unit are only set to 2612.5 so it should not be taxing the computer.  I'm going to change the motor tonight to see if it is a bad motor but I'm doubtful.  I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.  Thank you. 

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Step and Direction pulse width?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »
Integrated 3ch pulse generator: fixed pulse widths of 20 us.
External pulse generator: variable pulse width - pulse width = 1 second / current frequency / 2, with minimum pulse width of 4 microseconds and maximum pulse width of 500 microseconds. At 1 kHz step frequency, pulse width is at it's maximum 500 microseconds value, while at 100 kHz pulse width goes down to 5 us in average.

Also check that you are running the latest PoKeys firmware (updates are available at poscope.com).

Regards,
Matevž
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »
I downloaded the latest firmware last night and it did not help at all.  I think it might be an issue with win 7 64bit and mach.  I'm gonna test it using a virtual machine with USB support.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »
Try opening the pop-up status window (click on 'Open status' in PoKeys IO status tab of plugin configuration. There is a progress bar at the bottom of the page - how much does it get filled when you jog or move the axes? The bar should be less than 1/2 full.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
I will check that tonight.I tried a different laptop with the most recent installs for mach and the pokeys on XP 32bit.  I noticed that if I programmed it for 50ipm the screen showed 50 and the override showed 50 but the actual was half or at 25.  I moved the usb cable back to the machine that has the Win7 64bit and saw the same thing.  I'm gonna get the computer off of my mill tonight and connect the drives to the parallel port to see if it acts the same and if the feeds are halfed.  If not , I'll connect it back with the USB on that computer to see what happens.  Thank you for the suggestions!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »
I checked the progress bar and it doesn't even show anything when I use the arrow keys to jog.  when I command the x or y with a rapid move in the MDI then it shows but its not even a quarter of the bar.  I haven't tried the Parallel port yet but I'm starting to lean to it being the drives or the power supply.  I'm still going to parallel just to rule out the pokey though.  I'll keep it updated.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
I got everything changed over to the parallel port and still had the same issue with the shaking and loss of steps so it's the drives or the power. I did not have the issue though of mach showing the programmed speed but then showing actual being half of it like I did with the pokeys.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?