Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:19:38 PM

Author Topic: New guy with a very old Dynapath System 10 looking to upgrade  (Read 5679 times)

Hi all,

I recently acquired a old Kondia-76 CNC with a Dynapath System 10. Everything works, but the 60k memory 2,000 lines is a huge hassle. I want to keep the the Servos and Drivers, but that requires a 0-10 +- volt signal..  I've tried to research and found a few options like the KFLOP or the YAPSC:10, I still don't really understand what else is required besides a PC. the YAPS looks to be no longer available, the KFLOP looks like it needs other stuff???? Is there another option under 500 dollars?

Thanks..
Re: New guy with a very old Dynapath System 10 looking to upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:12:46 PM »
Hello Wilde:

Most external CNC controllers with the ability to drive analog amps cost at minimum around $1000.00, or much more. In addition, you will probably have to upgrade the encoders, add a 24v power supply for the controller, a 17" LCD monitor, miscellaneous custom built cables and connectors, and re-build the control panel, or make a new one, plus a good PC. However, when you are finished, you will have a very capable system, with nearly unlimited memory, and a large user base of members available for advice and help.

The improvement in the CNC electronics and control since your mill was built is one of the main reasons to do a retrofit, as most of the older iron was well built, and solid. Also, with a newer controller, adding a 4th. axis is easily done, as they all drive 6 or more axis.   

The dspmc by Vital Systems is an excellent external controller, and is the one I used to retrofit an older CNC mill several years ago. There are others, and all of them are capable systems, with many users on the Mach3 forum. 

John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:11:27 AM »
As said you will be struggling to find anything in that price range other than the likes of YAPSC.
The Kflop with Kanalog may come close but from what I understand,  you will really need to be able to do, or learn, programming to set things up, unless it is a very basic setup you will be doing.
The other controllers that can control analogue amps/drives and work with Mach are, as mentioned above the DSPMC, also CSMIO/IP-A from CS-Lab in Poland and some Galil.
I have not used DSPMC or Galil but I have used the CSMIO/IP-A and it is definitely a well thought out product, it will however cost you over $500.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »
I just picked up a Camsoft Pro with a CS18420 motion card and touch screen. My z axis encoder keeps crashing and I think I need to replace it. The machine has a RS23 500 40/5 L on it now. Can I just replace the encoder with a similar unit? Or will I need to update the encoder for the conversion??? I'd like to fix the z axis issues before I start the upgrade...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 02:48:41 AM »
Most encoders that work with devices that themselves work with Mach are 5v ttl, so if your old encoder is that type then you will be fine.
However even if yours is not then you may still be ok depending on your servo drives, as often, on more modern drives,  your encoder will feed back to the drive for speed reference and it will have encoder outputs. Quite often they can be buffered and interpolated so that even an encoder with different signals can be used.
 As an example the servo motors I have on my Chiron have sine/cosine encoders, they feed back to the drives and then I use the buffered encoder outputs of the drive to feed the CSMIO/IP-A, the buffered outputs are 5v line driver outputs.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »
So I have replaced the encoder and have my rotary converter up and running. I'm ready to start the upgrading the system with the Galil CS18420 board ICM 2900 I/o thinggy. I have no idea how to select the pins and connecter in Mach3 or how to actually wire the I/O up. I have the Galil plugin but I'm still lost...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »
Afraid I have no experience of the Galil as mentioned above.
You would really need to post any questions you have, regarding it, on the Galil section of this forum.
Hood