Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:44:38 AM

Author Topic: TB6560 Spindle speed  (Read 11141 times)

TB6560 Spindle speed
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »

Hi,  I have a lathe which I'm converting to CNC using a TB6560 board.
It has an output for spindle control but no way to connect a speed sensor to it.
 At present I have a 240v single phase motor on it ( I hope to convert to 3PH at a later date) and I would like to connect a speed sensor to it so that the thread wizard will know how fast it's turning.
 I could hook up a separate display so I would know the true speed,  but I would prefer to use MACH3 to detect the speed directly if at all possible.
 Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a sensor via another input such as USB?
 I have asked the manufacturers but they reckon no-one has asked about this before and could offer no advice.

Thanks for any suggestions, except for "go buy a gecko"
BC
TB6560 Spindle speed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:22:07 AM »
A gecko won't give you spindle speed ;)
You need to either make a black'n'white sensor setup (don't know the exact term) and hook that up to an input pin or install a rotary encoder on the spindle. The latter will provide for a more precise rpm count as it's 1024 impulses per revolution.
I went with the encoder and switched out the Chinese BOB with a CSMIO-S and eventually geckos for the axis steppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: TB6560 Spindle speed
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:35 AM »
 Thanks for the answer. When you say hook it up to an input pin, how would you suggest I do that?
 Pretend I know very little about electronic stuff..actually there's no need to pretend but I catch on fairly quickly.
 I have a proximity sensor from an old project I could use if I knew what to connect it to or if I need more hardware to allow it to communicate with MACH3.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:41:52 AM by Brutal Chessecake »
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:58:24 AM »
I guess you can use the proximity sensor. I have that on my denford mill.
The sensor sits orthogonal to the spindle and there is a setscrew that protrudes from the spindle.
Every time the screw passes the sensor one revolution has occured.
The output of the sensor is wired to an input pin on your breakout board and configured as index in mach3.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
This sensor uses a magnet which I can superglue to the rear of the spindle, probably using the tumbler gear mounting.
  I'll have to contact the manufacturer to find out which pin I can use on the plug.
 Having  attempted breaking into a parallel port plug last week to avoid cutting a big hole in my enclosure , that failed miserably, can you explain how best to do it?
 Or should I save my pennies up for a more adaptable set-up?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:50:36 AM »
this might give you an idea: http://7xcnc.com/hardware/encoder/
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
 That doesn't help much as it's not for windows or the TB6560 board. I might forget about that part of the conversion until I splash out on a 3ph motor and speed controller.
 Thanks for your help
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »
I have a lathe controlled thro a TB6560 and sensor to read the RPM for screw cutting, see this thread

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,21302.msg150394.html#msg150394

Graham
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:46:19 PM »
 Thanks Grayhil,
That looks like what I'm after. I'll have to wait until Monday before reading it as my thinking head wont be back from the cleaners until then.
 Everything else seems to be working ok except the Z axis motor,  which seems to be struggling abit.
 I'll checked the thrust bearings aren't too tight and then fiddle with the motor tuning later.

One other thing I thought of is the computer I'm using, it's an old 'ish' laptop but the only one I have that runs XP and I've heard that laptops aren't the best for running MACH3.
 The driver test come back ok with steady reading of approx 25000 and I've cleaned all other programs from the hard drive etc. Is there any other thing I should be looking at?

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
 Having now read the topic posted by Grayhil can I just confirm that I need to wire my sensor up to the limit/stop interface  using the vacant 'y' axis terminal
 and then configure MACH3 so that the index function is using pin 11?
 Thanks