Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:42:27 AM

Author Topic: SYIL UK + ESS = OMG  (Read 10763 times)

Offline Rimmel

•  207 207
    • View Profile
SYIL UK + ESS = OMG
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:15:15 AM »
ESS cost $180 (£109) in the US. I contacted warp9yd and they explained that syil are the UK outlet.

Syil are charging an eye watering £175 ($287.35) + delivery  :o

That's a 37.36% price hike for the UK customer  - nice  >:(

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: SYIL UK + ESS = OMG
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
Or you can order one from a supplier in the USA (like me) and pay a reasonable amount. http://www.soigeneris.com/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:20:06 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Rimmel

•  207 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
Thanks for the link - I went direct to warp9 and they pointed towards syil - I guess they don't care much about the UK market.

Thanks again Jeff

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:16:25 AM »
Just a word of warning if thinking of buying from abroad,  UK Customs are ruthless at the moment and I have been stung quite a few times recently.
If they grab you (almost certain nowadays) you will get charged, at the very least, VAT and a customs handling charge of approx £12 (depends on carrier) so you will end up paying closer to the UK price. I have even had import duty slapped on some things and that brought the total to over 30% above the orig cost. It was still worth it in that case as the cheapest I could buy in the UK was more than double, but it sure pi$$ed me off.

You ,could of course try and get the sender to make a false customs declaration but that has its drawbacks as well. First is if you get caught then the seller as well as you,  could end up in trouble and second your package can not be insured for its value so if its lost someone will have to take the hit, most likely you.

I got something from Hong Kong recently and the seller put a customs declaration of $20 without me asking him to. What happened however was customs opened it up, looked at the paperwork, looked at the sellers website and charged me VAT etc on the web prices, kind of annoyed me as I had actually paid a discounted price. I complained and they said no problem, just appeal and you might get it sorted out but they would take a dim view of the original false customs declaration even though I hadnt asked for that.

I hate that it has ended up this way but it would seem the UK Government are just trying to make sure we get ripped off whether we buy from the UK or abroad.
Hood

Offline Rimmel

•  207 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 07:25:59 AM »
Yep - rip off Britain. i read earlier this month that the Chinese were complaining about our import duty and that it was harming our economy.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 08:09:27 AM »
All those taxes pay for the 'free' stuff you get from the government. Don't forget those in positions of power are much smarter than you and thus can better decide how to spend your hard earned money.  >:D
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Rimmel

•  207 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
haha our taxes pay for the rich people free stuff!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »
All those taxes pay for the 'free' stuff you get from the government. Don't forget those in positions of power are much smarter than you and thus can better decide how to spend your hard earned money.  >:D

More mud! More bricks!  ;D  Sometimes you just got to laugh to keep from crying.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »
Yep - rip off Britain. i read earlier this month that the Chinese were complaining about our import duty and that it was harming our economy.
So our import duty lessens the amount of sh1te sorry - stuff - that we import from China and therefore the amount of Sterling that leaves the UK and ends up in China is less and that harms OUR economy?  ;D ;D ;D Nice try China!

Offline Rimmel

•  207 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »
At the end of the day - we end up paying more. - as usual.