Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 01:44:48 AM

Author Topic: Upgrade to Mach 3 / 4 Linuxcnc from PLC, using Panasonic A4 servos.  (Read 18543 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade to Mach 3 / 4 Linuxcnc from PLC, using Panasonic A4 servos.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 03:17:42 AM »
That is correct, the CSMIO will most likely only ever be Mach, there is a plugin being done for Mach4 so if/when Mach4 runs Linux then it will run that.
From what you are saying however it seems you are determined you will not be using a windows based OS so I think you would be better sticking to LinuxCNC and looking at components that are best for it and your hardware. Going down the step/dir route, especially if using the parallel port will hamper your resolution or velocity severely. Whether that will matter or not I am not sure as I dont know what kind of resolution you require for a waterjet.

Hood

Offline richy

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 05:02:26 AM »
Yes Hood, Linux OS is our chosen path so linuxcnc and later Mach 4 are the long term goals. We have a mach 3 demo to test with on a windows partition.

I noted what you said about step/dir and had a good google around to see what others were using with servo's in velocity mode and linuxcnc, it seems the 5i25 and 7i77 mesa combo is popular and at-a-glance seems to be what I would need? I can certainly order that kit but I've no experience of mesa boards so it would take a while to get up to speed.

Nearly ready to test the step dir on an axis to see how that behaves........

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 07:17:17 AM »
Dont know the mesa boards to use I am afraid, you would be better asking on the LinucCNC forum.
Hood

Offline richy

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 12:06:28 AM »
Ok, got the machine jogging nicely via dual boot mach3 and linuxcnc via step / direction commands into the Panasonic drivers.

Gonna make a like here of the major connections and parameters that need to be made / ammended so the next guy doesnt have to spend untold hours reading the manuals like I did ::)

The cnc4pc differential line driver I showed earleir got + - 5v from usb "Channel A"  became "step" and "Channel B" became "dir" wired straight from any old breakout board.

Inside the panasonic driver you have to change parameter Pr40 to setting "1" this enable the inputs for dedicated differential signals via pins  44, 45, 46, 47 which I wired as 44 to step - from the output of the differential line driver. Pin 45 to step + from the output of the line driver, 46 to dir - from line driver and 47 to dir +.

Other parameters to enable position control mode (step / dir control) within the driver are as follows, (we bought the dvop 1960 cable and loaded up the free panaterm software to assist with parameter changes, highly recommended purchase)

Parameter PR02 needs to be 0

Parameter PR04 needs to be 1

Parameter PR40 needs to be 1 (unless you are using single ended step / dir signals in which case inputs into driver are going into pins 3,4,5,6 in diagram below, not recommended by the way)

Parameter PR42 needs to be 3

Parameter PR43 needs to be 1

Parameter PR01 needs to be 1

Parameter PR4E needs to be 2

Pin 7 needs +24v
pin 41 need the minus side of that 24 v supply
Then connect pins 33,29,8,9,31,30 to pin 41, the minus side of the 24v power supply.  All those pins mentioned on this line should really form part of your safety strategy, via realays and e-stop buttons etc as a way of disabling the drives.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:02 AM »
Hi, i use the different line driver, are you still on this forum??
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »
Anybody used those line drivers before? The manual for them doesn't spell things out clearly for an idiot like me  ::)

I'm thinking that the GND and +5v I can get from the BOB and that "channel A" could be "DIR pin 2" from the breakout board.

"Channel B" could be "STEP pin 3" from my breakout board? Does that make any sense?  :D

On the output side that would mean pin 5 and 6 would be the differential DIR signals - & + that get fed into the panasonic drivers?

i use this differential driver, are you still on this forum??

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 02:08:34 PM »
HUM,  i am not exactly sure why you are asking for linux CNC  help on the Mach3 forum ????? Shoudl you not be over at teh LinuxCNC forum ?? I dought you will find much help here.

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »
He's waiting for the Linux version of Mach4. ;)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »
I would not hold my breath for that one (;-)

(;-) TP