Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:43:27 PM

Author Topic: Code Whoe's Lathe  (Read 8797 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Code Whoe's Lathe
« on: January 20, 2014, 06:05:38 AM »
Colleagues
I realise its being a long long while and I'm still getting this lathe together, but progress has taken me all the way to the cam stage. I am playing around with Mastercam, tried using the post-processors that are designed for Mach but they just have to many errors in them. I used then the generic Faunc post and its so much better but, I cannot get it to work, wow a what contradiction in terms there, better but does not work?
Ok I will elaborate a little the two main problems I encounter with the Faunc code is it is in diameter mode? its cutting double the size it should, and I keep getting an error on line 46? I have tried everything but still can not get it to work, very frustrating indeed!
The part is simply a piece of 30mm dia Nylon with a 21mm dia (X) x 10mm (Z)  cut out out and a 1/2"BSP thread 10mm long.
If someone can check the code and tell me where it is going wrong it would be great. Error one is the G54.1 needs to be removed first on two linesN150 and N430 which I have already done.
Thanks
Cheers
Katoh

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Code Whoe's Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:09:39 AM »
Suggest you go back to the post processor for mach. There are gcode differences in Fanuc and Mach is not going to implement them when called. Make sure you are using the correct pp for Mach since some CAM's use different ones for radius and diameter mode.
Then post the gcode based on Mach pp.

I don't know nothing about Mastercam so hopefully an actual user can give some specific advice.

RICH

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26:26 AM »
Thanks Rich for the quick reply, I totally agree the Mach pp will be the one but when it posts code like this I wonder? the fanuc code looked so much better and it had the commands and tool tool changes in the correct position. as a matter of interest here is the same part with the mach pp, I have three different pp's for mach and they all do the same thing, something wrong somewhere? The problem is I'm not clue'y enough to write my own.
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Code Whoe's Lathe
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
What version of Mach are you running? Does using the diameter mode stay during a restart or do you have to change it over from radius? As if the diameter mode is not being remembered?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
I am using version 3.043.066 and yes it does stay on diameter mode after changing from radius.
It keeps coming back with a bad character in line N450 of the fanuc code, I have gone through that so many times I can not see anything wrong with it besides being twice as large as it should?
The trouble with the mach code, it wont post an M8 or an M5 at tool change, the tool change position is in the wrong place at the end of the code on the threading cycle?
I can go through and alter the code put in m8,s and m5's and move the tool change position manually when posting, but I figure that's the fastest way for me to have an oopsy!
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:43:21 PM »
Katoh,
is it correct that you want to turn the part on X - ( minus ) side rather then X+?
is the startpoint at Z-7.5 correct?
Alex

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
The feed in your first code is called with E, it should be F.
You need to edit your post processor or get MasterCAM to do that if you dont know how.
Quick way for now would be to edit the code with find and replace in notepad. eg tell notepad to find E1.818 and replace with F1.818
Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
Katoh,
is it correct that you want to turn the part on X - ( minus ) side rather then X+?
is the startpoint at Z-7.5 correct?
Alex

Alex that's correct, the part is turned on the lower left side, -X. The starting point should be z10, x0.

The feed in your first code is called with E, it should be F.
You need to edit your post processor or get MasterCAM to do that if you dont know how.
Quick way for now would be to edit the code with find and replace in notepad. eg tell notepad to find E1.818 and replace with F1.818
Hood

Hood I believed you have nailed one of the problems, must be my eyes that F looked just like an E. I don't know how to correct the post so notepad is easier at the moment. Just the diameter thing to go!

Cheers
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
Is the code double the dia of what it should be?
If so then its a MasterCAM issue, you could use a G51X0.5 before the code that is doubled and g50 after but its not ideal.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
Again don't know squat about MasterCam, but, it is wise to create the part in CAM, pp out of CAM, and bring into Mach
all based on the same units / mode. Mix and match on modes can be bad.

FWIW,
RICH