Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:57:20 AM

Author Topic: Can't move z axis z- direction  (Read 4919 times)

Can't move z axis z- direction
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »
My machine worked perfectly a few days ago, but now I'm unable to move the z axis in negative direction, I've tried turning off safe limits, is there anything in the software which could be stopping an axis move in a direction?
Re: Can't move z axis z- direction
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's something I've done wrong with mach3, as I can move the axis on the motor tuning plugin.
I've attached my xml config, can anyone see anything wrong here?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »
Are you possibly running into a soft limit or dont have the axes homed?
Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »
I've tried turning soft limits off and still the same issue. I've also tried with and without homing the machine.

I've now renamed the mach3 folder, and done a fresh install, copied over my XML file and get same problem.

Really got me confused this one. If I try to configure the plugin for the controller, I can make the motor spin in both directions buy selecting the option circled in red. But I can't jog the axis using the arrows on the same screen.

Surely this means the hardware is all ok still, but it's a software issue?

Edit - I know the screen shows the Y Axis, but I was tesing the Z axis, just went back for a screen shot
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »
I've now disconnected the drive belt going to the axis, just to rule out any physical problems. Sadly still the same issue, really starting to pull my hair out now :(

Has anyone got any thoughts on what I can try next?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
Couple of things to try, first is I would not have the Set Axes to Zero on Reet chosen when using the IP-A as it reads position from the encoders so it is preferable to have that option disabled I would say.
Also disable the other settings to the right for smart limits and auto z inhibit. I am not sure exactly what they are for and cant recall how I have them set but its worth a try.

BTW they are in Plugin and on Special Functions then Other.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »
Thanks hood for you help (AGAIN!!!) :D, I've just changed those settings, I'll head out now to the machine to try it.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »
:( Sadly the still the same problem.

Also when I try to run a program, when the Z axis tries to move I get a Estop button pressed message

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
Ok what I would do is swap axis setups in the plugin for maybe X and Z and see if the Z (really X) has problems or whether it is the X (really Z) that still has them.
Hood
Can't move z axis z- direction
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 06:07:34 AM »
I gave that a go, and the problem moved to the real x axis, so I knew it had to be a software limit somewhere.

I remembered then that I unplugged my touch probe while having a tidy up the other day, for some reason in order to get my probe working I had to reverse the input for my probe, so when I disconnected it mach3 assumed the probe was active so limited z axis, easy fix! Feel stupid now. Thanks for the help anyway.