Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:24:25 PM

Author Topic: CSMIO/IP-S and Nordson dispenser using valve mate 8000  (Read 7509 times)

CSMIO/IP-S and Nordson dispenser using valve mate 8000
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »
I have built a robot that is controlled by the CSMIO/IP-S. I am using the spindle command on Mach3 to control the Nordson dispenser via valve mate 8000 controller using the CSMIO Analog ports.

Basically I can get with a lot of M3/M5/P(time) commands the dispenser to give me a dot where I want it in either the 8000 TIMER mode or STEADY mode. But it slows down the machine a lot.

The nordson documentation says that if I use the E.O.C. [End of cycle] output on the back of the valve mate 8000 to send a signal back to the CSMIO device that it should reset it in TIMER mode as fast as the cycle ends.

In my setup I use the Mach3 SPINDLE as the voltage to activate (send 10V to) the nordson device via the M3 command , using P (time/mm), and the M5 to end it. In this carnation I set Analog out 0 ( Pins 1 and 2 ) on the CSMIO to send the signal. I works, sort of.

I also tried to use the EOC by: keeping Analog out 0 ( Pins 1 and 2 ) on the CSMIO to send the signal. I then set TIMER mode on the 8000 and tried to send EOC from 8000 too CSMIO Analog input 0 ( Pins 7 and 8 ). Tried using M3, but didn't work. Just got one shot and done.

Would like to know if anyone has any advice on this as I am stumped on it. This is my last problem to solve on the dispenser, then I should be able to start my lab experiments. I really need some help here as Nordson doesn't know, CSMIO people haven't answered my emails, and so finally I am turning to Mach3 people.

Thanks,

Will...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:14:10 AM by wrieken »
Re: CSMIO/IP-S and Nordson dispenser using valve mate 8000
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
Perhaps I haven't provided enough information for people to make a good assessment. Below are some clips from the Nordson 8000 manual and the CSMIO manual.

Thanks,

Will...

The End Of Cycle (EOC) feedback can send a signal back to the machine controls signaling when the dispense cycle is finished. Using this signal can increase machine productivity by eliminating any delay after the dispense cycle and also confirms a dispense cycle has occurred. As long as an initiate sequence is in progress on any channel, the EOC circuit is open. Maximum load is 100mA from 5 to 24 VDC.

You can see the connectors in the attachment for EOC and the schematic in the schematic attachment.

End of Cycle Connection (EOC)

Upon completion of a dispense cycle, an open collector circuit closes and remains closed until the next dispense cycle. This circuit can be utilized to signal back to a host computer, start another device in sequence or other operations that need to be tied into the completion of the dispense cycle. This circuit will close when all dispensing activity has completed. Upon closure, power from an external source is allowed to pass through the circuit to operate a 5 to 24 VDC load or be monitored by the host machine controls. The load illustrated is a relay, but this could be any device that will operate within the 5 to 24 volt range. Power consumption of the load must not exceed 100mA.

24 VDC Output
Courtesy 24 volt DC 100mA can be used to provide power to EOC and ALARM out circuits for signalling purposes. Also, can be used as a power source for an indicator device or initiate signal through a contact closure switch to the 4-channel Initiate circuit.

For additional reference I have also included an attachment for the Analog port on the CMSIO device. I am using Pins 1 and 2 for Analog out 0 to initiate the start signal.

I hope this can help. Thank you!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
Hi Will. Have you set the dwell times to start and stop the spindle down low. I think mach default is 2 second start and 2 seconds stop. Also try tuning the spindle tab in motor tuning. Don't know if any of this will help but thought it might be worth trying

Alan
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:32:51 AM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the idea ;; I tried it and it does influence the M3 M5 commands ;; but when I check the voltage level on the plugin panel I see the start voltage, but not the E.O.C. input voltage. So my guess is that I am not getting a signal at all yet from the E.O.C. to stop the M3 start voltage. I am not sure why. Maybe I need to supply a line voltage to the E.O.C. to get it to work? I will have to wait and ask Nordson when they get back to work on their Monday.

It is very irritating when a company that builds a product has no knowledge on how to use their own products. It's beyond me how they stay in business.

Thanks,

Will...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:34:51 AM by wrieken »
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
UPDATE:

So taking a look at the Analog ports it seems the wiring was/maybe incorrect? By changing the wires on the CSMIO from Analog input 0 ( Pin 7 ) and GND (Pin 8 ) ; to Pin 5 [ + ] 10V ( max 50mA ) and Pin 7 [ - ] Analog input 0 I can now see a constant 10V in the plugin Analog window that never turns off. But it doesn't seem to effect the M3 command.

What should have happened is that the TIMER set at 0.010us on the Nordson should have triggered through the EOC a stop signal to end the M3 command. But didn't happen, seems there was no effect. Could it be a setting in Mach 3 is not set?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Will...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:11:05 PM by wrieken »
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:33:10 AM »
Hi Will,
Does it have to be m3/4. Can you use one of the user M codes and macro for it to look for the return signal from the nordson unit before it proceeds. That way it is on instant and off instant with your eoc.

Alan
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Hi Alan,

We only use M3/M4 because that's what we know about.

Your idea sounds very interesting. I have no idea on how to do that. Could you please explain how that is possible to achieve by example?
Is there anything in the Mach3 manual or other document that explains this?

Thanks,

Will...

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:14:44 AM »
Hi Will,
Check out mach site.

http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/

Macro PDF.

I'm away from home until the start of next month.

Alan
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 05:29:20 AM »
Solution was found:

What I did was decided not to use the E.O.C. or the Analog signals.

I moved Analog Ouput 0 to the STEP/DIR connector STEP[3] [ + on the Nordson Initiate 1 ] [Pin No.8] and GND [ - on the Nordson Initiate 1 ] [Pin No.13].

In G-Code I used this as the A-Axis and it works like a charm.

Setup was 1. Motor Movement Profile , 2. Motor Ouputs, 3. Output Signals

Just added the A-Axis positions using standard g-code axis movements and let the Nordson TIMER mode sort out everything else.

Thank you very much Alan for your input and I hope this will help others in the future.

Now my new problem is the limitations of the CMSIO/IP-S for "number of axis". Hopefully they will either figure out how to daisy chain these boxes together for more axis or make a new version for 18 axis's.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:31:53 AM by wrieken »
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 08:22:19 AM »
Good to hear you're solution Will. 18 axis is not bad at all. The most I've worked on is 32 Axis's.

Alan