Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:42:14 PM

Author Topic: 4th Axis problem  (Read 2862 times)

4th Axis problem
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am a Mach3 newbie, and i would appreciate help with an issue i`m having.

I made a code in RhinoCam which engraves a pattern around a cylinder part that is positioned in 4th axis (rotary). The pattern stretches all the way around the cylinder - full 360 degrees. When i test the code in RhinoCam simulation, it works great, but when i run the code in Mach3 and do the actual milling on the part, the result i`m having is that the pattern doesn't stretch all the way around the part as it`s supposed to. Instead, the whole pattern is compressed into approximately one half of the part`s circumference, while the other half remained untouched.

What am i doing wrong?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: 4th Axis problem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:43:33 AM »
May I suggest initially checking that the steps per unit are correct for your rotary axis. If you command 360 deg. does it actually rotate 360 deg. ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »
May I suggest initially checking that the steps per unit are correct for your rotary axis. If you command 360 deg. does it actually rotate 360 deg. ?

Tweakie.

Thanks a lot for you suggestion. I checked with the 360 deg. command and the 4th axis rotated 180 deg. so i doubled up steps per unit and it rotated 360 deg. But now a strange thing happened - z axis was making cuts at the radius that is two times smaller than the actual radius, even though i entered the correct value for Rotation Radius in the Settings tab. I then doubled the value for the rotation radius and it worked fine. Now i`m a bit confused about the rotation radius - why did i have to enter the diameter instead of radius?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
Rotation radius only affects feedrate, not depth of cut.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »
Rotation radius only affects feedrate, not depth of cut.

Yes, i understand now. I entered the correct radius again, restarted Mach3 and it works great. Thanks a lot!