Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:35:09 PM

Author Topic: Limits override switch won't override limits  (Read 4694 times)

Limits override switch won't override limits
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »
Hi all,

Sorry if this topic has been covered, but I haven't found a post with this topic.

I have limit switches implemented which work just fine.  To move off of the limit switch, I can successfully go over to the Settings screen and press the "Override Limits" button, press reset twice and move off of the limit switch.  No problems with this sequence.

I implemented a physical switch which I would like to take the place of the mouse clicks to override limits.  That is, I wired a NO switch into input 4, configured input 4 to the limit override function in Mach 3.  When I press the button, the "Limit OV" light on the Diagnostics screen lights.  So, I think I have Mach configured correctly.

The issue is that my new button does not override the limit switches such that I can move off of the limit switch.  It doesn't seem to do anything other than light the Limit OV light on the Diagnostics screen.

Are there other settings which need to be adjusted?  Does anyone have this type of functionality implemented?

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Limits override switch won't override limits
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
Are you using the parallel port or an external controller?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using the Gecko G540 and a SmoothStepper connected to the computer via USB port.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:11:49 PM »
Thought that may be the case. I think you will have to see if Greg can add that functionality to the SS Plugin.
I have just tested here and  with the SS it doesnt work, it just acts as you say. With the parallel port however it works fine.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »
Hood,

Thank you for the information ... you saved me a lot of debugging time; of course, I wish the news was better.

Now I just have to find a use for a manual input push button ...  :)

By the way, if you have a way to forward this post to Greg (who I don't know), I would greatly appreciate it.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »
You could just email Greg and let him know, his email for support will likely be on his site www.warp9td.com

You could just use the auto limit override in Mach, wont be able to use your switch for it but at least all it will require is a press of the reset to get you going again.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:00:03 PM »
Oh just thought, if your limits all come in on one input then you could still use the switch, you could use it to bypass the limits. If its a normally open switch then have it feeding 5v to the same input as your limits when pressed, in fact you could have it feeding all limits inputs even  if you were using separate inputs for limits..
Hood
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:02:28 PM by Hood »