Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:41:33 AM

Author Topic: BP Boss 5 Retrofit Advice Needed  (Read 4346 times)

BP Boss 5 Retrofit Advice Needed
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »
I am in the process of purchasing a Boss 5 mill. The iron is in fantastic shape and was used very little. If it wasn't for the like new condition I might not even be considering this purchase. It's tooled up nice with the Kwikset 200 tool holders and a Kurt Vise and BP vise to get me going.

I have done my reading prior to posting this but this is my first CNC and I want to do it right and am looking for your help. Will be converting over for Mach 3 or LinuxCNC use. Initially I want to be able to utilize the original BP steppers to get me going but I want to be able to upgrade to servos later once this thing makes me money. I would like to only purchase drives that allow both, using the originals and servo upgrade later.

Things I need and what I'm currently thinking:
PSU - Keiling KL-7220 (saw it referenced on another post)
Drives - Gecko G203v (seems popular)
BOB - PMDX-134 (or similar)
VFD - Hitachi (I have 2 other Hitachis I am happy with. It does come with a really nice 3HP AC Tech that was used very little but it's setup for 3 phase and I don't have that in my shop so that will get sold to fund the new one.)
CPU - AMD Phenom Quad core running over 3Ghz, 4GB RAM, Video, etc (would a smooth stepper be any benefit with a computer like this?)

I have also seen referenced the Hillbilli BOB. Any reason why that's better for this than other BOBs? I also see guys have taken parts for the BP power supplies and made there own. I'm ok with doing this but I can't seem to find any info as all the old links are broken.

Looking for any suggestions on what to do with the intent of keeping cost down initially with the option to upgrade in the future. I know the resolutiojn of these drives is only .001 currently but would like that to be better in the future as well. For now with what I have planned to do it will be fine. This will be used for making parts for resale in a home shop setting. Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: BP Boss 5 Retrofit Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
You are not going to find a drive that can drive both steppers and servos very easily, if at all. I think Schneider may do one but they are a top end manufacturer aimed at industry and will cost 10x the price of the Gecko stepper drives.
The Gecko drive you mention is a stepper drive but it will not drive a servo.

Regarding the HillBillyBob, it is different in that it interfaces direct to the electronics in the BOSS cabinet and thus it will drive the original stepper drives, so if they are ok then it would be your cheapest option. Only thing is I dont know if the guy  (Darek?) is still around.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »
That's a good point about the drives. I knew that but i wrote it kind of a hurry and Ive been concentrating my research on steppers lately. Thanks for the correction.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:58:36 AM »
I am still  around. Ran out of boards about two years ago. Not enough demand and my partner (Also my dad) on this venture passed away. I have attached the instructions I provided with the board for anybody interested.

Sorry Darek
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 12:01:06 AM »
I guess the board wouldn't work for me anyway since one of the boards is bad. That leaves me to get another BOB and drivers.

If I didn't get gecko 203s what would you guys recommend? Are there better drivers out there for around the same price point?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:15:48 AM »
Geckos are widely regarded as the best stepper drives available in their class, although the likes of the Chinese Leadshine ones are close. Geckos servo drives however are way behind others from most reports.
Regarding a BOB, then I would say PMDX are the best, but that is just my opinion :)
Another thing to think about is a motion controller, you may wish to simply use the parallel port or you may have to go with a moton controller. If going with a controller then there are quite a few out there in varying price ranges, the Ethernet SmoothStepper is a decent choice but you will need at least one BOB for using with it (well not needed but best IMO) another choice would be the CSMIO/IP-M, that would not require a BOB as it has basically got it all built in. Lots of choices there and there will be lots of varying opinions :D

Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
So if I wanted to run the Gecko 203v's and add a fourth axis later (and maybe a 5th) would a Keling 7212 or 7220 power supply be ok? I have also seen the 5413 used but don't I want as close to the 80v max of the Geckos?
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 12:49:06 AM »
I am still  around. Ran out of boards about two years ago. Not enough demand and my partner (Also my dad) on this venture passed away. I have attached the instructions I provided with the board for anybody interested.

Sorry Darek
I guess I'm about 5 years too late getting my BOSS system.  I was all prepped to buy a board and get this thing going, but then I read this post from 2-1/2 years ago.  Time to start the re-config over!

Has anyone came up with a similar BOB that can be used with the existing motors, without swapping everything out?

Bruce

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:51:22 AM by BruceRahn »