Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:43:35 AM

Author Topic: Motors are not Working  (Read 6501 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Motors are not Working
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »
Doing something wrong here I guess. Yesterday before configuring Mach3 I applied power to the stepper motors & BOB and I heart the thump on the motors indicating power was applied

Today I configure Mach3 but the motors are dead. The DRO's are moving and the diagnostic screen has no lights lit but all limits / E-Stop are working and when I press a limit switch the light lights on the diagnostic screen.

I configure all 4 motors on the motor tunning page with 4060 Steps, Velocity 100 and Acceleration 10. No motor movement and no power to the motors

The motor drivers are Keling KL-4030. They have two enable contacts (+5V and ENA) and the manual says they should be unconnected (enabled). There is also a dip switch with a setting for 0 (half current and 1 (full current). I was told this dip switch to be in the 0 position

Any help?
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Motors are not Working
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »
if you attach your xml I will have a look.
Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
Thank you Hood, please find attached my xml
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
Had a quick look and dont see anything wrong in the xml.
Have a look on Diagnostics page and see what the Frequency box says.
Check you have the correct port address entered.
Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »
Just came back from the garage and I think I found my problem. The motor drivers wiring was not connected to the BOB, that is the DIR +/- and Pulse +/-. Working now to finalize the connections

Main problem is that my control cabinet turned out too small. It is the 1st time I use DIN rails & cable ducts and the cabinet at 15" wide x 16" high x 7" deep turned out too small to house 2 PSU, 4 motor drivers, 2 plug in transformers, 2 BOB's etc. Guess I will now for the next time

Thank you Hood for your time, tomorrow I will start it again and hopefully all will be fine
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:39:14 AM »
hopefully you found the problem :)

Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »
No luck today, finished the wiring job and thought that was the problem but no, motors still dead. Reading thru the manual now to see if I missed any step.

Checked the voltage at each motor and its 36.4. There are no lights lit on the Diagnostic screen and I don’t know if I should have lights ON in there or not. Limits and E-Stop works – when I press any, Mach3 reacts and have to press the Reset

The Frequency Box on the Diagnostic page says 25340. The power ON lights are all ON on the BOB and C41 which controls the spindle. Spindle is not working either but I will get to it later (but works thru the VFD)

At this point I don’t know if it’s a wiring or Mach3 config problem. Any guidance will be appreciated
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:09:13 PM »
Best thing would be to break out the scope if you have one, if not a volt meter. Test the Dir pins direct at the port. You will likely have to change the active state of your limits and E-Stop as you have the cable unpluggesd. If a voltmeter test between your Dir pins and pin 25 and see if the voltage swings between 0 and 5v as you jog back and forth. Test all of them and see.
 You can also test the step pins but depending on your  velocity and active state you will not see much of a change, it will either be 0 at rest and probably a volt or so when rapid or 5v when at rest and 4v or so when doing the rapid.

If all that checks out then move onto the end of the cable and try again.
Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Thank you Hood, my Internet was out since last night

I dont think I can do what your saying because the C10 BOB manual says "if the board is not connected to the PC, the outputs will be deactivated". I will do this at each driver and then check the printer port to see if there is continuity from one end of the cable to the other.

Also as per attached, Keling says to leave alone the enable pins on each driver. Perhaps I will try to put +5VDC and GND to these pins to see what happens? (this will be my last step)

Is there any way to check the wiring on the motors without undoing the motor cables? Like removing the connections from each driver and using a voltmeter see if my wires are connected ok? I doubt very much that a have done anything wrong on these cables but as a last resort

Another item to check is the printer plug of the PC. This is a used PC I got and never checked if the printer plug at the back of the PC is working. How can I find out if this plug is working?

Should the lights on the Diagnostic screen be ON or OFF under normal conditions?
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
I am saying to remove the cable and test with the volt meter at the port. The port will still output just you wont have anything connected except the volt meter. Your motors etc wont run but you will see changing voltages on your meter, assuming the port is working.
As I said you will likely have to change the active state of limits and E-Stop for you to be able to take Mach out of Reset when you have the cable disconnected from the port, that will only take a few seconds to do and you can change back once everything gets hooked up again.

Regarding the Enables, they are not used to enable these drives, the 5v applied disables them, not a great way of doing things as normally you would take away the 5v to disable and apply to enable, it is done that way for safety.

Lights on Diagnostics page? I am not sure which ones you mean but can you also tell me, do you have a frequency and time in int on Diagnostics page and is it a 32bit operating system you are using?
Hood