Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:46:03 AM

Author Topic: Spindle parking with mach ideas please  (Read 2842 times)

Offline otpco

•  48 48
    • View Profile
Spindle parking with mach ideas please
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:26:41 AM »
Hi all i have a Mood bridgeport mach conversion up and running . i would like to try to get the tool changer up and running . I need some ideas on parking the spindle . I run a VFD and speed control for the spindle . Will the all singing and dancing Mach 4 be able to help me > I have worked out most of the control but the spindle is giving me trouble any ideas thanks to all Mark Sunny Australia 36 C here today

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle parking with mach ideas please
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:29:47 AM »
Unless your VFD supports orientation then its not going to be a simple thing to do, probably the best option would be some mechanical means to stop the spindle at the required position, for example you could command a slow rpm and have a pin that will drop into a slot, the pin would have a sensor on it so that when it drops in the slot it tells Mach to stop the spindle.
Hood

Offline otpco

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:45:50 AM »
thanks yhinking of a heart shaped cam and roller plunger

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:08:28 AM »
That would work as long as you have not got to be precise with your stopped position.
Hood

Offline otpco

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:01:57 AM »
it has to be  pretty good by the look of it a degree oso either way . thinking of a roller and well maid cam balanced etc . hop I have not hafve to grind it ! the machine is old but done no work . Bridgeport Moog . have had it going for some years but would like to get the tool changer in on the act .

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:46:25 AM »
been toying with this for my toolchanger, thinking along the lines of the spindle stops and a dc motor engages it and turns spindle to an optical switch, and orientating it for the drive dogs,im using using a tormach type system with a carosell but quit frankly its useless for anything other than drilling or light milling. need a bt30 solution.
Tony