Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:29:24 AM

Author Topic: Problems understanding why my X and Y are coords dont = mill ?  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Problems understanding why my X and Y are coords dont = mill ?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 08:30:32 AM »
Ok just looked at the video, where you seem to be having the problem is you are not setting up a work offset. I will presume BobCAD is posting the default G54 offset so what you need to do is jog to a position on your table where you want to start cutting, you then zero the X and Y DROs in Mach then when you either load the code or press the Regen button the toolpath should be where you expect it to be.
Jogging and pressing the zeroes is basically you setting up a work offset.

The cube you are seeing is the work area of your machine as defined by your soft limits, whether you have them right or not I am unsure.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »
ok so I am definitely loading the code before zeroing everything. but I am 99% sure I did a regen tool path, but I will have to do that tonight  to make sure 100%.

I guess I am curious why the code looks like :  (Y is set too ?? because I am saying they dont matter for the example)

N09 X60
N10 Y??
N11 X53
N10 Y??
N13 X47

and not like

N09 X0
N10 Y??
N11 X10
N10 Y??
N13 X20

anyway, thanks again.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »
That could well be the way you have your axis set in Mach or it could be the way you have BobCAD set up.
In Mach if you jog so that the cutter is moving right does the X increase in the DRO or decrease? Remember I am talking about cutter moving right and not the table as that could be different depending on the type of machine you have. For example on a mill with a moving table if you move the table left the cutter is in effect moving right when you think in relation to the material.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
Ok I just loaded your file in BobCAD and then produced the code and ran in your Mach profile and it looked fine. It starts at the right hand end of the pocket in both BobCAD and Mach.
If you want it starting at the left hand side of the pocket you would need to choose the start point in BobCAD.
I used a different post processor than you as I didnt have the one you have.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »
Could you post your guide.  Just so I can see the differece?

Please and thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "guide" but here are screenshots of BobCAD and Mach doing the part.

I did have some issues with the Z axis, that could be because I am using a different version of BobCAD but as I dont have the machine definition and post processor that you are using it is hard to say, if you attach the G Code you get I can have a look.

Hood
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »
Hahaha  auto correct on my phone!!!!!

I meant  g code

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
Ok here is the G Code, as said there is a problem, even now with the Z as it goes lower than intended for the first and last move of each cut before rising to where it should be. This could be the post processor I used or could be the difference in things because your file is done in V24 and I am testing with V25.
Hood
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 06:42:23 PM »
ok, its possibly because I am total newb to Machining. but let me ask you this question this way.

Ok, so my Mill is an X2, which really means that my table moves.

so, If I draw a box in BobCad, then put a pocket in it.

So based on my code
Its my understanding, that the table will move in what ever direction it takes, to put the bit at B1,  then Cut to A1,  then move down a bit to  A2, then cut till it reaches B2 , then move down, and so on and so on till it reaches D 8.

A                                             B
1  *********************************************************************************X   1
2  *********************************************************************************X   2
3  *********                                         XX  3
4  *********                                         XX  4
5  *********                                         XX  5
6  *********                                         XX  6
7  *********************************************************************************X   7
8  *********************************************************************************X   8
   C                                              D

is this a fair representation of whats going to happen?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 03:23:00 AM »
In the BobCAD sim I got and also the code produced the cutting is in the Y axis so it would be D8 TO A8 then A7 to D7 etc. If you attach the code you get I can have a look.
I am wondering if you have your machine set up correctly? X axis is left to right as you stand in front of the machine, Y axis is away from you to towards you, is that the way yours is?
Hood