Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:11:39 PM

Author Topic: Upgrading question 32bit vs 64bit, USB vs Parallel , Mach 3 vs Mach4 HELP!  (Read 18047 times)

Hey Gang!

So I have a question I am hoping a few people can help with!

So Currently I have a G540 Gecko controller and I am running Windows XP in 32bit (4gigs of ram) because I read somewhere that the 64bit version of windows has some issues with printer drivers and what not.

SO!  I am doing some early investigation about what I need to do to move up to Windows 7 or 8 in 64bit mode.

So the obvious first question is, am I going to need to upgrade the Controller?

1 – Will Mach 4 support a printer port version for 64bit  or is it more complex then that?

2 – Will I need to upgrade my Controller to a USB version?

2.b – If I have to upgrade to USB to be able to use a 64bit OS, will Mach3 work? Or will I need to wait for Mach4?

I understand not everyone is in the know of all this, but if ANYONE has knowledge or even tidbits of information  Please feel free to post a link or help..

Thanks,

Most Appreciated!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading question 32bit vs 64bit, USB vs Parallel , Mach 3 vs Mach4 HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
There is no parallel port option for 64bit OS's, whether thats Mach3 or 4, so you will have to use an external controller if using a 64bit OS.
I would suggest you look at an Ethernet controller rather than USB, it is just much more resistant to noise and other issues that USB can suffer from.
Quite a few choices of Ethernet from very cheap to quite expensive, all depends what you want from a controller.
All compatible controllers that you can currently buy are for use with Mach3, most should be usable with Mach4 but that will be up to the vendor to write a suitable plugin, chances are the cheaper Chinese ones may not support Mach4, but that is just a guess so dont take it as fact :)

Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »
only because I am stuck at work and googling is frowned upon and I am interested in looking, do you have any links or recomendations?

I am not looking for your "recomendations" but maybe just a bunch of links so I can kill a few hours :D
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
Thanks!
I am wondering,  Does anyone have some experience  Ethernet based controllers? I really would like to better understand the whole thing.

What I need, how its different, what works with what ...

I am super paranoid about spending a grand to find out I bought the wrong thing :)

Hood, I really appreciate the links you posted.  and I am gathering as much as I can, but since I am on the other side of the pond,  (Canada) some of those you posted dont help me much.  I tried to find a "G0704 BUILD" that used an Ethernet based controller, but I have had no luck.

I am going to likely error on the side of using a Printer port, because I have heard  about issues with USB, but if ANYONE has a link or a doc that sorta covers it. I would be sooo sooo appreciative.

thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Nothing stopping you buying from Europe and getting it sent, lots have done so already.

I have used Ethernet SmoothStepper, Ethernet Scorpion, and also all 3 of the CSMIO products, IP-M, IP-A, IP-S. All were fine on the ethernet side of things.

If it is just a simple stepper driven machine I would look at either the Ethernet Smoothstepper, the CSMIO-IP-M or maybe even the Ethernet PoKeys.
Hood
My problem with purchasing from Europe is mostly the time delay and shipping costs.   While I live in Canada, its a 30 minute drive to the border and  it costs me like 10$ in fuel, and 9 times out of ten, shipping is free.  Where as ordering anything In Canada  , US, China or Europe I always get nailed with 50-90$ in shipping costs, then add Taxes and duties. then something the UPS guys call brokerage fee's :D

AKA Cash Grab.

so, I tend to buy stuff from the US and drive and get it, much less hassles :D.

also you mention

"If it is just a simple stepper driven machine"
Basically, I am converting a G0704 to a CnC mill for a friend of mine, and trying make all the right choices. 

so if I can make this assumption, what i will need.  is the
1 - Ethernet Controller
3 - Drivers  (havent decided on any particular model)
3 - Stepper motors (thinking 527oz 5am)
1 Power Supply  (48v 12.5A)

The irony is, 2 days after selling my X2, My buddy swings by with a small project and after I told him I sold mine, he wants me to make him one. so bonus for me.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
sorry dont have a clue what a G0704 is.

SmoothSteppers are from the USA.

Hood
sorry dont have a clue what a G0704 is.

SmoothSteppers are from the USA.

Hood

really? I hope your kidding :D

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704