Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:53:17 AM

Author Topic: Probe-It probing wizard - 2D perimeter probing  (Read 19152 times)

Re: Probe-It probing wizard - 2D perimeter probing
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 10:32:48 PM »
Hey Jim,

Using this wizard is it possible to probe the outside of an object, and also the inside of a few pockets and save to the same DXF?

Yes, you can do that.  The way the wizard is setup, you open a CSV or DXF file for writing to, and you can start/stop, switch between pages in the wizard, etc, and keep recording to the same file until you close the file or close the wizard.

I went out to the shop tonight and did a quick example recording of a part of a picture frame I made a while back, but lost the CAD file in a crashed computer, as an example for you.  The part is full of pockets and sweeping curves.  I was going to video it also, but my camera died in the middle of it.  Please see the attached picture of the part being 'traced' as well as the raw CSV and DXF files as saved by ProbeIt wizard with no edits. (NOTE, forum doesn't allow CSV uploads... ?!  I resaved as a .txt, just rename back to a CSV when you look at it).

You will see the profiles in the DXF are made of many little segments, as defined by the settings in ProbeIt.  There are a few breaks in the profiles, that is  locations where I started/stopped due to either a faulty Estop, or so I could enter a smaller stepover to get in the tight little corners better.  There are some jagged corners with circles highlighted also, this is where sharp corners occured, and the routines 'guessed' at the corners because my steps were to coarse.  Ideally, you would take this raw DXF, then make a smoothed poly line out of the geometry and clean it up a little to use for a design/CAM.

Hope this helps give a little more info about it.

regards,
Eric Brust / CraftyCNC

by the way:  I would like to do a better video of the usage and settings, if anyone has a recommendation on screen recording software, I would apreciate it.  I've tried CamStudio, but it usually gives me poor output or crashes my computer while Mach is running.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:35:51 PM by eabrust »
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:31:34 AM »
I've been using Eric's plug in for a few weeks now. I must say I'm very impressed. It works very well and must have saved me hours and hours of work already
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 08:18:10 PM »

I've recently put up an update to ProbeIt, to version 1.1.0.

Some of the updates include:
-added secondary method of calibrating probe per TP's comments. (it is up to user to manually center the spindle in the gauge ring using whatever method they like, but it creates a full 'comp' table that also includes probe tip runout/offset in the correction table).  Thanks TP for the comment, I think it is a good addition and gives the user a choice, especially if their probe is non-adjustable.
-reworked all the routines to be compatible with the CSMIO (thanks to Jimster for his help/patience/cooperation!)
-added additional 'probe active' checks in the perimeter routine
-added a counter to the perimeter probing screen so you know how many points have been collected
-various bug fixes to some of the routines.

I owe Jimster some thanks for working with me to get him up and running.  It turns out that that not all of the motion control devices out there behave the same, and was giving my routines some issues.  Both the para-port driver (what I have to test with) and the Smoothstepper seem to return actual X/Y/X coordinates into Vars 2000, 2001, and 2002 whether or not a touch is made at the end of the G31.  I do the math and checks in my routines to decide if the probe hit or missed.    After some testing with Jimster, it was confirmed the CSMIO plugins return X/Y/Z coordinates into Vars 2000, 2001, and 2002 on a hit, but it returns X=0, Y=0, and Z=0 on  a miss.  This took a little re-working of my code to make it compatible, but I think it is sorted out now.

I hope to keep it a work in process with more updates to come. 

Regards,
Eric Brust / CraftyCNC

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »
I would think that the CS Labs guys should be made aware of this and change their plugin to match the parallel port if possible.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
I would think that the CS Labs guys should be made aware of this and change their plugin to match the parallel port if possible.

Actualy, through the process of troubleshooting and trying to figure it out, Jimster did email CSLabs (as he was their customer and also a very helpful guy!) I think based on the initial response he got back from CSLabs, they thought he was using another product and they weren't really receptive to his question/issue.  I'm not sure he got any further feedback from them yet or if he clarified to CSLabs what the issue was in the end.  I'll leave it for Jimster to clarify if there was any closure for him beyond the first email he got back.

Regards,
Eric Brust / CraftyCNC
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 03:50:19 AM »
Sadly CSLabs didn't come back with any information after the questions I initially asked them, very disappointing after the price I paid for their controller.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 06:19:55 AM »
I think they will reply to you Jim, it usually takes time but I have always had a reply. a few things I assume are the reason for slow responses.
One  is English is not their first language and although they seem to have a good grasp of English it still must be a factor. would you manage to reply quickly if you got an email in Polish ? ;)
Also  I know they are extremely busy with enhancing their products, getting the plugin done for Mach4 and I would imagine they have a very full inbox from people wanting information and requesting enhancements.

Of course these are just my thoughts on the reasons and from dealings I have had over the last year or so.

Hood
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »
Right you are hood, (again!!!!) Cslabs did get back to me last night. I should have been more patient.

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
by the way:  I would like to do a better video of the usage and settings, if anyone has a recommendation on screen recording software...

Try Fraps

Screenshots are free but it appears the video recording will require $37.
Lots of folks in the gaming world use it as seems to be the case seen on therr website.
Just a suggestion as you requested.
No, I'm not affiliated with them and have no idea whether it will work or not.
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion on FRAPs, I'll give it a look.

Eric