Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:50:30 PM

Author Topic: CNC router power supply question  (Read 3013 times)

CNC router power supply question
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:37:19 AM »
Hello guys and Merry Christmas!

What is the difference between this linear toroidal unregulated power supply,

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/torroidal-power-supplies/unregulated-350w-48dc7-5a-input-120vac-or-230vac

and this Switching CNC Power Supply?

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/switching-power-supply/kl-350-48-48v7-3a

I have a linear toroidal unregulated power supply on my CNC router I upgraded the power supply to a higher volts and now I need to upgrade the capacitor.

Whats the difference? Is one better then the other?

Thanks,
 Greg
"Ideas have consequence" Ravi Zaccharias
Re: CNC router power supply question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
The low tech answer is that both should work at providing 48V at about 7 amps.  Technically I have had switching power supplies that have generated noise and interfered with a 5V signal for my system.  I would look closely at the sustained current output (not just max) and P-P noise ratio (should be in volts in the specs) when evaluating both of these.  Choose the one with the longest sustained current output and provides the least amount of noise (lowest value).
Hope this helps.
Jude
Re: CNC router power supply question
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »
When running multiple steppers from a single power supply the unregulated power supply is preferred because energy produced by the steppers when slowing down can be stored by the capacitors and used by the other axis.  A switcher won't do that and could give you an over current condition.  Your caps have to be large enough to absorb the power and also have a high enough voltage rating as the voltage rises when storing the braking energy.  You also need to be careful that you don't exceed the voltage rating on your drives during braking as well. I have some zener diodes on my power supply output to clamp an overvoltage condition.