Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:08:04 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 on an older Omax Waterjet?  (Read 2521 times)

Mach 3 on an older Omax Waterjet?
« on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
Hello.  First post.  I picked up an older Omax 2652 waterjet from a GM auction last week.  It arrived today with the control gutted - no PC or software.  So I am at a point where I either go to Omax and spend roughly $8k on a new PC and software key, or I go another route with Mach 3 potentially.

I can generate G-code from either my 3D HSMWorks CAM, or SheetCAM - I have both.

The unit has Allen Bradley drives - I am not sure of the models - will have to grab that info tomorrow and post it.

It appears to have a special Omax box that is USB that comes from the PC and goes to the drives from there....I would imagine this would not be used with Mach 3?

So - how difficult is it to set up parameters to drive the servo amps / motors using Mach 3?

I am familiar with CNC machining, and robot programming, but have not done a project like this yet...

Thanks in advance!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 on an older Omax Waterjet?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:21:56 AM »
If the drives are analogue command then you have a few options, one I am using on my Chiron FZ12 and for me it is simply the best controller I have used with Mach to date. It is the CSMIO/IP-A from CS-Lab.
The others I know of are the DSPMC from Vital Systems, the Kflop with Kanalog from Dynomotion and the Galil.

Hood