Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:50:43 PM

Author Topic: Question On MPG  (Read 2518 times)

Question On MPG
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
Hi all

I’m trying to resurrect a project which stalled about 3 years ago due to other commitments; this is to update the control system on my knee mill.
I was able to get my old AhHa system running under MACH3 and have been using it that way for the last 3 years.

I have a question on the MPG I plan to install in my new control panel. If the ratio of my Z axis drive is different than X and Y (or down the road the A axis) will I be able to use just the one MPG?
My X and Y drives are currently running 2:1 pulleys with a 5tpi screw but the Z which I haven’t installed yet is 1:1 and a 5tpi screw.

I would also like to install manual selector switches for the axis selection (X, Y, Z, A,) and jog resolution; (.01”, .001”, .0001”) is this doable? I will be using a PMDX 125 board.

Thanks for any help you can give me; I will have plenty more questions down the road.

Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Question On MPG
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »
Yes the MPG will work fine on all axes, doesnt matter the steps per unit as Mach knows what each axis is and will drive them accordingly.

Yes you can have switches for your axis/step selection as long as you have enough inputs, you may have to get a second parallel port if that is what you are using. If using an external controller then you will likely have more than enough inputs.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 03:37:07 PM »
Hi Hood

Thanks for the information; now to take it one step further what would be the best option it implement the manual selector switches to MACH3; Brains, or is there a better or different way?

One last question for now; if I have a selector switch an say it is set on the X axis, will attempting to change the axis using the mouse be ignored? I’m just wondering how the manual switch will play with the software one.

Thinking out loud here; would the axis and step resolution switches need to be momentary push buttons or will a rotary selector switch be ok? I guess this would depend on the answer to the previous question.

Thanks again,
Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »
There are several ways to do this,
OEM Triggers ,assuming there are OEM codes for the functions you wish.
Brain
Macropump.

I have used a Brain to do this on a few machines and it worked fine.
Regarding  being able to change with the mouse then it depends how you implement them, for example if using a Brain it will allow you to do so as the brain looks at state change of the switch, so once selected it will not be set again until the switch position changes, unless of course you have a timer in the brain.
 A macropump will constantly look at the switch position and set the function to that, so you likely would not be able to change with the mouse.
The triggers will likely act like the macropump.

Rotary switches are fine or you could use mom switches, depending on which method above you use, I always used rotary switches.

For my step size I had 4 positions, 1 would set the jog mode to continuous, the other three would set to step jog mode and also set the increment DRO to the desired size.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the information Hood,

Good point about the 4 pos. switch with one position used for continuous jog.

Dave