Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:06:20 AM

Author Topic: Mach3, Proma THC, and Gecko540 - Max CL Mode  (Read 5363 times)

Mach3, Proma THC, and Gecko540 - Max CL Mode
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »
I am trying to set up a THC from proma, with Mach3 and a Gecko540 and powermax45. So far as I know I have it wired correctly according to their instructions. I have a licensed version of mach3.

One option I don't understand is that Proma says I have to have Config -> Ports and Pins -> Port Set up and Axis Selection -> MaxNC Mode ->Max CL Mode, checked.

When I do this step motors gets confused. The A-motor moves when Z-motor commands are issues. When I go to edit ports and pins to reassign the pinouts or Homing and limits to set the direction, the changes have no effect.  If I uncheck MaxCL mode, everything works fine.  When cutting, the THC receives signal from the plasma cutter, does not move the torch up or down.

I am stuck. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3, Proma THC, and Gecko540 - Max CL Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:27:54 PM »
The Max modes have, as you have discovered, hard wired pins which you can not change. I have no idea why it would be recommended that you use the MaxCL mode as I have never used or even looked at the Proma THC. If you have to use that mode for some unknown reason then you will have to wire your motors and limits etc to correspond to the pinout of Max CL, you will find the info on the ftp site, I would however question proma as to why they need to use that mode before I started swapping wires around.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
Thanks @Hood.

I will find out more from Proma on why Mac CL is needed. Two more questions:

* Can you help me understand what the Max modes actually do? I look thru the user manual searching for MaxCL and MaxNC and it came up with nil results.
* On the FTP site, what specifically am I looking for that would have the MaxCL Pinouts in it?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
Here is the info on MaxCL, basically it is a mode in Mach that pre-configures the I/O so that it specifically matched up to what the MaxCL machines required, so you can not choose which pins do what.
Here is a link to the doc on the ftp site
ftp://machsupport.com/Extra%20Information/MaxNCCL.txt

Hood