Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:36:06 PM

Author Topic: Move Z to safe height before rapid move  (Read 2525 times)

Move Z to safe height before rapid move
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:03:12 AM »
I'm using FeatureCAM to generate my GCode, and it generates a number of G00 (Rapid Move's) where it will move across 3-axsis at once, (G0X10.3Y5.1Z0.5). The problem is that the bit was low elsewhere in the part, and the bit will rapidly drag through the part and stock. What FeatureCAM seems to expect that the machine will lift the bit out of the material to the Z coordinate first. Is there a way to enable this behavior? If this is a FeatureCAM side thing then I apologize, I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

(I've found this before http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=22341.0 but didn't find a solution).

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Move Z to safe height before rapid move
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 03:05:30 AM »
It is FeatureCAMs responsibility to do collision detection and produce code that will avoid collisions, Mach just follows the code supplied.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:13:54 AM »
Sort of what I was afraid of, hence why I was hoping to force it via Mach3. The error seems to arise when transitioning between operations in FeatureCAM :/ Alright, I'll look into that side further.

Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 03:38:08 AM »
Most CAM have settings for Z, options such as part 0, start Z, Rapid Z etc, never used FeatureCAM except for Lathe so afraid I cant help with that :(
Hood