Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:39:06 PM

Author Topic: Rotary switch and Pokeys  (Read 6815 times)

Rotary switch and Pokeys
« on: November 13, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »
Hello to all :)

I'm new here, and I ask you to help me please!
I have a Pokeys56U and I do not know how you should set it to use a rotary switch. What I understand you have to create a brain, true or false? If true, how should you do?
  Please help me to understand ???, or if someone can give an example!

I have to use the rotary switch to select the axes and the resolution step in MPG mode.

regards, Dmitriy

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Rotary switch and Pokeys
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:43:32 AM »
As we have anwered to your e-mail: Please take a look at the page 20 of the new Pulse engine manual (available as "PoKeys Pulse engine v2 and Mach3 plugin manual (10.11.2013).pdf"). This page describes how to connect a pendant to PoKeys device and how to configure Mach3. To switch between axes and resolution, you have to use the OEM buttons feature of the Mach3 - buttons IDs are displayed in the table in the manual.

You were also referring to this post 'http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,18850.0.html' in your last e-mail. User zafarsalam used no rotary switches there, but had used momentary switches for axis selection.

Rotary switch for axis and resolution step selection is supported by the PoKeys plugin in a form of 'Pendant mode'. It works as follows:
- rotary switch is connected so that the common pin of the switch is connected to GND, while others are connected to PoKeys
- there PoKeys pins, connected to rotary switch, are assigned OEM buttons mappings as it is showed in the table in the aforementioned manual
- in 'Pendant mode' if none of the axis selection AND step selection inputs are not active (if axis is set to 'none' or if a dead-man switch is not pressed), MPG mode is deselected. Otherwise, the correct axis is selected and MPG mode is activated
- with 'Pendant mode' disabled, PoKeys will change between axes and steps when the rotary switches are exercised. It will also not disable the MPG if no axis is selected.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »
NeoTO, Thanks for your reply!

I do not use PoPendant, but I am creating a control panel for the operator of the CNC and I want to create something like this (see picture). To not be using the 9-pin Pokeys, I thought of using only 3 pins (if possible).

???my question is: Is possible to do something like that, if you can, how?

regards

Dmitriy

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »
The rotary switch you proposed does not have sense. Do you have a part number of the switches? Do these switches include different resistors for each switch?
PoKeys is not (directly) compatible with such rotary switches. If the switches contain internal resistors, then you will need to add an additional resistor to form the voltage divider and connect the output of it to analog inputs of PoKeys board. Analog inputs should then be configured in Mach3 plugin an mapped to an unused DRO. Then, Brain program should be made to check the current value of the analog input and switch between axes.
It is possible, however, past configuring the PoKeys analog inputs in Mach3 plugin, we can not assist you in doing this.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
This rotary switch does not have the resistance, is simple. But it is a rotary switch with NON-Shorting contacts P / N 50ebs45-01-2-08n-f is Grayhill manufacturer. You can use this selector switch without everything you've typed before?

I wanted to do it this way just because I did not want to use the 10 or 9pin Pokeys. ???

If you say that it is useless, that's okay.

For more buttons you have to use only the keyboard matrix or exists way?

You can set the plugin the Shift key, in order to have 2 buttons in 1? In software Pokeys I saw that you can set the shift key!

regards, Dmitriy

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:57:40 AM »
Although we try to make PoKeys as customizable as possible in order to satisfy the users' wishes, there are limits. The way you have drawn your switches and connections, you won't find a device on Earth that will be able to detect what you have selected with the rotary switch.

Regarding your pendant - instead of standard Mach3 OEM button mapping and 'Pendant mode', use PoKeys plugin to map all signals to Mach3 free IOs and use your own brains diagram to switch between the functions. There, you will be able to interpret every key as you imagined it.
If you are out of pins, you can extend the number of PoKeys IOs using matrix keyboard.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »
Thank you, NeoTO

So far we have.
  I imagined that with my drawing I need a brains.
I do not know how to write the brain. Where can I find the brain, or see an example of the brain to switch between the axis, which uses OEM Button 175, or resolutions of the steps - OEM Button 171??

Scott (poppabear) you can help me please to understand?  ??? I know you can write the brains to Pokeys, I read in many of your posts.

regards, Dmitriy