Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:57:07 AM

Author Topic: possible software problem???  (Read 4859 times)

possible software problem???
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
recently my Z axis has been acting up. when I use the Z home, as my axis touches the home switch and stops and i have to reset in order to move it. it used to touch the switch and then back off enough to release the switch (X & Y axis touch and move off slightly). i have checked my switches, wires and plugs, since i use plugs to connect everything. all seem to be OK. i think it may be my software but I am not sure how to check  for proper fuction. my machine works fine cutting and engraving. my touch off pad and fuctions work as designed. i am at a point that i dont know what to do next.
Safe machining everyone

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: possible software problem???
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »
It is most likely your switch is weakened and is now bouncing, you could try setting a debounce interval in General config to see if that helps, really though the answer is likely to be to get a good quality snap action switch.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
 i have already change the switch with one from my original batch of switches i bought when i built my machine, still had problem.   so i bought new switches monday, and after i recieved them UPS, i replaced it with one of the new ones. still same problem. 
Safe machining everyone

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 04:16:30 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what make and type of switch are you using for the Z axis ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
not sure of the brand but i purchased all my switches from  http://buildyourcnc.com    i will attach a few pics of them. i use the same ones for my X & Y axis and they work fine.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:44:32 AM by krugshouse »
Safe machining everyone
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »
Does the mounting position of a swith have any effect on its performance? attached is pic if typical switch mounting on my machine.
Safe machining everyone

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 12:08:15 PM »
They look like reasonable micro-switches to me and your orientation is OK too.

What I would try is connecting a miniature 0.1uF capacitor across the switch contacts that you are connecting to - if there is any switch contact-bounce then this should suppress it.
However, if there is any looseness or 'play' in the mounting of the roller arm on the switch or if the switch is not mounted securely then this could be a problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
ok thanks
Safe machining everyone