Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:34:40 PM

Author Topic: Please help with lathe tool tables  (Read 13691 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with lathe tool tables
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:14 PM »
Tool offsets in Turn are different from Mill, they are controlled via the last two digits in the tool call, so for example T0101, T0801, T9901 would all bring up the same values into the X and Y DRO, ie the offsets of entry 1 in the tool table.
Hood
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
Hood,
   So are you saying that you too don't think g49 does anything  in Turn?
Thanks,
Terry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
I have never tried it but I dont think it does as there is not really a Length Offset in Turn, the offsets are X and Z and are applied by calling the tool offset from the tool table, so the way to cancel is call  a 00 for the last two digits of a tool. That could be by calling the same tool as you currently have in but with 00 as the ofset portion or by possibly calling T0000. The latter however likely wouldnt work if you have an auto changer (turret/tool post) as most likely that would be out of range.
Hood
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
It's interesting because one of the options in the  General configuration panel in the Turn profile is to opt for a G49 and/or a G40 when the end of a program is encountered.  At first I thought this might be related to my problem and what you were looking for in my profile, but it didn't seem to help.  - Terry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
The thing is, originally Turn was just Mill with a few tweaks. For example you used to call a tool and offset in the same manner as you do in Mill. It was changed long ago to adopt the normal convention for Lathes and likely these options are just artefacts from the original method. For example to tool table still has 250 odd offsets, you can only use 99 of them for lathe however.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »
Hey Hood,
While watching your video I liked your touch off indicator. So having an extra center finder for the mill decided to try
it out for the lathe. The tape just keeps end of the finder centered and restricts movement. The accuracy for setting lathe tools was exceptional, and although I have a microscope on the carriage, touching off to the center finder is so much quicker.
Pic attached......

RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 02:23:57 PM »
Looks good Rich, I was considering using an edge finder at the start but the only one I had was the sprung ball type, so not much use. As I am Scottish I got a fever when thinking about the cost of purchasing a new cylinder type one for this so I decided to make my own ;D

Actually the real reason I made one is the Hyd chuck likely would have crushed the edge finders body through time.
Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
Hey Hood,
While watching your video I liked your touch off indicator. So having an extra center finder for the mill decided to try
it out for the lathe. The tape just keeps end of the finder centered and restricts movement. The accuracy for setting lathe tools was exceptional, and although I have a microscope on the carriage, touching off to the center finder is so much quicker.
Pic attached......

RICH
   I always thought this would be the best way to set up tools. Just seems easy.

Btw the tool table and offsets configuration is difficult to say the least. I can remember a phone call from a member here who used the analogy, if Lupe was on the 50 yard line. The story never made sense but somehow I did learn to load my tool table to some degree, practice would of course would make me better at it.

I did pick up one tidbit on this thread, to use a non tool as the reference/master. I had read this before but ignored it and used my longest tool as the reference. All of a sudden during reading this thread it dawned on me (just before reading Rich's remark about non tool for the master) what happens if I broke tool 1 or it had significant wear? Slow learner? Damn I hate that. I guess learning it at some time is better than never.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
I'll post some info in Member's Doc's on setting up the tool table.
Found the file I posted for Fastest1 some time ago, thought I put in Members Doc's, but it never got there.

I think  I understand what the difficulty about the tool table is and will try to address it.

Later,
RICH

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Please help with lathe tool tables
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
IIRC my biggest problem was pressing some button on the offsets or tool table page that only was to be pressed for setting up the Master Tool every tool after that had a similar process but didn't need that button pressed.
  Just going back thru the pages I don't see the obvious button, only 1 is to be used to set the master.
  Rich we might be talking about Lupe soon ;-)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)