Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:36:47 PM

Author Topic: Please help with lathe tool tables  (Read 13628 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with lathe tool tables
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
Can you also please attach your m6start and m6end macros please.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:22:51 PM »
Hood,
    Here is the m6start:
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
and the m6end

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »
Dont see anything amiss in any of the files you attached so I think it must be your methodology that is the problem. I will have a read through your initial post again later on and see if I can understand where you are going wrong. I think it may be something to do with the way the lathe screen is, all these Home this and home that buttons.
I dont know what they are for to be honest as I used the standard screenset for 10 seconds and decided it was not for me so made my own.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 05:06:35 AM »
Thanks for looking.
Let me repeat my process and maybe be a little clearer:

I type 1 into the T dro on the Manual screen. I insert my workpiece and take a skim cut on the end and then set the z dro to 0 on that same screen. I then take a skim cut on the diameter and then measure it and then set the x dro to that value on the same screen.

I then type 2 into the T dro on the manual screen and then touch tool 2 to the end of the workpiece. I enter the offset screen and type 0 into the z part-set dro and then hit the 'touch' button. This places the z offset into the tool table for tool 2 and I verify this by looking into the tool table. The offsets for T1 are both zero as I verify in the tool table also. I then go back to the manual screen where I can jog t2 to touch the diameter of the workpiece. I then go back to the offset screen and type the measured diameter into the x part-set dro. And then I hit the 'touch' button to set the t2 x offset in the tool table and I verify it.

I then repeat the above for tool 3.

I run my program and it runs to completion as expected.

I put in the new workpiece and re type 1 into the T dro on the manual screen. I jog the tool to touch the end of the workpiece and then I zero the z dro on the manual screen. I take a skim cut again on the new workpiece and enter the new diameter into the x dro on the manual screen.

I run the same program again and usually the tool t1 starts cutting at the wrong x or wrong z or both.  I can re-reference the t1 in both x and y again a maybe that will correct the problem.

There is never a problem with running the program for the first time after a fresh reload of Mach. There is almost always a problem with running it a second time if a new workpiece is chucked and t1 referenced to it.

I never use the home buttons as I don't know what they do. And I seldom use the part set dro's on the manual screen as I usually just type directly into the dro's on that screen

Terry
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:09:34 AM by mayhugh1 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 05:27:58 AM »
I put in the new workpiece and re type 1 into the T dro on the manual screen. I jog the tool to touch the end of the workpiece and then I zero the z dro on the manual screen. I take a skim cut again on the new workpiece and enter the new diameter into the x dro on the manual screen.

You should not have to reset the X at all, unless of course you have restarted Mach and have no way of accurately homing.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
Didn't get around to foolling with the lathe yesterday but will today and will follow what you did in reply 14.
So from memory let me say a few things and make an ask out of my self...............

Clicking the Zero World X and Z buttons will remove any WORK offsets that were created or saved and resets the DRO's to zero.
So if you now move the axis the DRO's will change reflecting the movement. So wherever the tool is located within the travel limits
of the axis ( by tool I am refering to the controlled point which is the point of the tool which actualy cuts the material), x&z=0 is based on where you were at the time you clicked the Zero World buttons. If you move away from 0,0, stop somewhere,
click the Set Home X & Z buttons, you have just told Mach that this is a location away from 0,0 which is home relative to 0,0 and within the travel limits.

So we now have Z & X =0 defined, and also have a home location defined within the travel limits.

If you move the axis away from home, stop, and then click the Home All button, the axes will move back to where you set home.  
G28 in the MDI ( do some reading on how G28 is used). You can use the Home x or z buttons for the individual axis to go back to home.

------------------------------------------

So you have a bunch of tools which were setup based on a master tool, say  T1, they a numbered on the tool holder so you can't mix them up . All the other tools are based on T1.That master tool is never used for cutting, thus no wear / the controlled point never changes. You use the master tool to setup the lathe.

So all you need to do is read section 4.5 of Appendix "F" in the Lazyturn Manual which can be found in Members Docs. You simply create a work offset

(IE;G54) THUS THE TOOL TABLE IS IS NOT AFECTED.

Hope I didn't confuse,

RICH

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:27:34 PM by RICH »
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
Hood,
     I've gotten into the habit of re- referencing both axes because my lathe isn't all that rigid and I've found that during a long cutting program the x reference can wonder around several tenths and if I reset the x with each new workpiece I can keep the accuracy a little better under control. Also due to deflection, if I don't run my skim cut at the same doc as my final finish cut on the part, I won't be accurate on the final finish diameter. When I tried to reference my x for my second and third tools, I jogged step at a time up to the workpiece diameter until (by rotating the spindle by hand) I start to rub off the machinists dye on the diameter of the skimmed part with the tool to be referenced.  Maybe my workflow isn't what Mach is expecting and I'm running into some subtle problem with the software. Rich - I have to study your reply more carefully. There's more in there that I have to think about even though I have read that appendix several times already.
Thanks all, - Terry

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »
A few thoughts Terry,
Once you set the tool table up the first time you should not do anything that is changing the differences between them. Of course if you
break or dull the tool you need to change the tool table by going thru the sequence of touching off the tools, or if you have a tool setter then change the particular tool offset manualy.   Depends how you work , but if you use a work offset, you won't see a difference in the tool table because you didn't do anything to screw it up. The only difference is the location of the master tool from the part.

Also if you keep the values of the tool table after they are touched off you could always just change the tool table manualy, apply / save, if you do something that screws it up.

An exercise worth doing is to create the tool table, then check to see if there are any work offsets, then do what you want, but  ONLY ONE STEP / or CHANGE at a time and see what the affect was     ie; did  the tool table values change, did the dro values for program/part/machine change, is there a fixture offset / is it different, what happens if one just changes the tool number while at home or at soem location, etc. You will learn a lot and it will keep out of the bars! Ou also should take a look at the first move depending on how the code was created ie;  wizard
use and using diameter or radius mode and current Mach settings.

Frankly, it can get confusing quick  especialy if you need to change screens to do things ( i use a modified lathe screen).

Remember all this is a fun thing, ;)

RICH

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
Another interesting thing is how (or if) G49 works in MachTurn. I don't believe it does anything. For example, I can reference my tool1 and go ahead and set the offsets for tool2. If I then switch to tool2 (enter T2 in the tool dro) I can see the dros change to reflect the offsets for T2 compared with T1. If I MDI G49 nothing happens on the T2 dros. In the mill software, the dros change to reflect the cancellation of the length offsets. In Turn there is no apparent effect. It seems the only way to cancel the length offsets is to MDI T0101 or MDI T0000 or to enter T0 or T1 into the tool dros. I see many Turn programs that start out or end with a G49 in the machine setup block, but does it really do anything? - Terry