Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:17:32 AM

Author Topic: Please help with lathe tool tables  (Read 13624 times)

Please help with lathe tool tables
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:00:18 AM »
I've been using MachTurn for several years but have just yesterday tried to make use of the tool tables. I've spent nearly 20 straight hours trying to make a run of 20 parts with three tools and am getting nowhere. Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong? Here is what I'm trying to do.

I set tool#1 in the tool window and I reference this tool to my part with skim cuts in x and z by setting the appropriate dro's on the manual screen. Then I put in tool#2 and I go to the offsets window where I set #2 in the tool number window and reference this tool to the same x and z surfaces. I press the 'touch' buttons which store the x and z offsets in the tool table. I look in the tool table and the offsets are there for t2 and zero for t1 as expected. I do the same thing for tool#3. I run the program and everything runs as expected. Then I put in a new workpiece and the problems start. I set tool#1 in the tool number dro on the manual page again and then I proceed to take skim cuts again on x and z and I reference the new surfaces in the dro's on the manual screen again. I realize doing the x again is likely redundant. Now when I restart the program, tool number one will not start cutting in the proper place in either x or z or both. I can try referencing tool#1 again and after several tries the tool may or may not start cutting in the proper place. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It seems to only be t1 that has the problem. Once it is in the right place, the other tools are invariably correct. I've never had to re-reference t2 or t3. Can anyone tell me where I should be looking to fix this. Restarting Mach will let me re-reference t1 to the new workpiece but it seems I shouldn't need to do this every time is insert a new workpiece. - Terry
Re: Please help with lathe tool tables
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:59:46 AM »
Hopefully one of the board gurus will be able to analyze your problem & straighten it out.

I had a terrible time with the tool table until I added a reliable and very accurate homing system and built a dial indicator center setting gauge for my lathe.  I use the home position as zero and set my reference (tool #0) at zero.  All other tools are set to an accurate spindle center point, & the offsets saved referenced to #0. As long as I remember to home the machine upon starting it up, it will hold .001" or better between all the tools.  I do have to tweak the tool table a little to compensate for cutting different materials or changing insert types.  My machine is pretty small & not as rigid as the "real" machines.

Here's a link to the center setting gauge. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,25092.0.html

Milton
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:29:45 AM »
Have a look at Appendix "F" in the Lazyturn Manual which can be found in Members Docs.
I think you are creating an offset. Note that Milton uses  a home position and i will remark that different folks
setup differently, but what is important is that you are consistant in what you do and it works for you.

Haven't used my cnc lathe for a couple of months now and hope to refresh my memory later today.

Remember that all tools are relative to a single tool but all the tools are also related to each other and Mach keeps track of the info.
I suggest you play a little, do exactly what you posted but every time you click a button or make a move just open the config >offsets
and see if something changed.

Later .......
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:33:43 AM »
I did a quick vid showing one method of setting tools up in Turn, might help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWnfioI3G0E
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:03:42 AM »
Good vid Hood, way much better than trying to put it into words.
Don't care what they say about you, your allright....... :) :) :) :)

RICH
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »
I found Hood's video while I was in the middle of trying to troubleshoot the problem and I seem to be doing everything that he is. My problem seems to be changing the master tool reference for some reason. Thanks, Terry
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:43:01 PM by mayhugh1 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
Don't care what they say about you, your allright....... :) :) :) :)

RICH

They can say what they like, and they DO!!!!  and  I dont give  a Tom Tit :)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
I found Hood's video while I was in the middle of trying to troubleshoot the problem and I seem to be doing everything that he is. My problem seems to be changing the master tool reference for some reason. Thanks, Terry
Please attach your xml and also your tools3.dat (it is in your profiles macro folder)

Hood
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »
Hood,
    Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it. Here are the files you asked for. - Terry
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »
Here is the xml: