Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:31:14 AM

Author Topic: Add functions to STOP and RESET (E-stop) button?  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Zaae

•  120 120
    • View Profile
Add functions to STOP and RESET (E-stop) button?
« on: October 22, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »
Hey all, it's been a while!

I need to add a sendserial command to the stop and reset buttons to turn off some external devices. They already come on and off as needed in the m6start and m6end files, but I'd like them to shut down in emergencies, and that requires the sendserial command.

In screen4 or machscreen, I can see the STOP and RESET buttons are referencing the system function STOP FILE and RESET. Is there a way in a script that I can call these functions manually? I know it can be done with buttons and such, but can't seem to find how to call these system functions directly.

Offline aahka

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Re: Add functions to STOP and RESET (E-stop) button?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
This is my first attempt to communicate on this website.  Please excuse my blundering into the wrong place to start.
I have been using a gecko G540 on a CNC router for over a year. We recently changed the table from a 4' x 4' to a 5' x 10' table. Then we started to experience recurring faults and E-stop reset messages on Mach3. Now we get a reset message occasionally when we move the Y axis. The X and Z axes work fine. The G540 red fault light comes on and the power green light goes off when movement  stops along the Y axis as the result of an e-stop. We also experience an unusual phenomenon during a rapids command.  When executing the following:
G00X10.8125Y78.5000Z0.2000
The router moves the correct distance along the x axis, but makes no movement along the y axis.  The router also seems to drop at a slow rate along the z axis while moving in along the x axis.
We eliminated the limit switches as the problem by shorting them out during a trial run with no perceptible performance change.
Please provide any troubleshooting advice you can.

Offline Zaae

•  120 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »
aahka, I think you've mistakenly responded to my question rather than starting your own thread. You'll likely get more help if you post your own.

Here's a link, there's a button on the upper right labeled 'new topic'

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html

Good luck with your problem :)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
Hey all, it's been a while!

I need to add a sendserial command to the stop and reset buttons to turn off some external devices. They already come on and off as needed in the m6start and m6end files, but I'd like them to shut down in emergencies, and that requires the sendserial command.

In screen4 or machscreen, I can see the STOP and RESET buttons are referencing the system function STOP FILE and RESET. Is there a way in a script that I can call these functions manually? I know it can be done with buttons and such, but can't seem to find how to call these system functions directly.

Reset is DoOEMButton(1021) ........ I think thats what you want. You would make your reset button a VB button in MachScreen and add the code to it. Make sure you do what ever else you need to do before sending the reset because it will stop sending the serial bits once reset is activated if i'm not mistaken. If you want a serial connected device to request Reset you could add the code to your MacroPump.m1s to do that.

SendSerial("Hello World")
SendSerial("Goodbye')
Sleep(100)
DoOEMButton(1021) 'Reset.....I do not like a delay at all on a reset button so you would have to weigh it out and see if it will work for you.

If GetInBit(*********) Then
DoOEMButton(1021)
End if
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Zaae

•  120 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:31:57 PM »
Thanks for that, Chaoticone, I'll have to give it a try when I have some free time again.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
Not really a good idea to allow software to control Estop. It should be a mechanical shutdown of all powered functions via a relay and crowbar.

Many things can happen that leaves you with ZERO computer control to stop functions in a REAL emergency.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Zaae

•  120 120
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
To clarify, I would still have my regular mechanical E-stop, it's just the way it is now, when I press STOP or Feed hold in the software, my dust vac and vacuum table continue to run. I suppose you're still right, the E-stop should have a mechanical connection to all attached devices, but anything would be better than the way it is now. I'll have to ponder the other possibilities.