Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:00:36 AM

Author Topic: mach 3 spindle rpm display  (Read 20825 times)

Re: mach 3 spindle rpm display
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
ok, thanks, I have multi sector, fairly small wheel(Sherline) using parallel port. I also have masked the wheel so that it has only one sector. It seems that it should work at low rpm, no?  What do you think about raising the pulse engine rate from 25,000? I have a desktop 3GHz Pentium with 2Ghz of ram.

The rpm signal is only about .1 kilohertz or so; should be a piece of cake for Windows and Mach, I would think.

Since I do see the index line flipping on the diagnostic screen when moving the spindle by hand, it would seem that something in wrong in Mach or my Mach config...Any idea what the debounce should be?  My debounce parameter asks for a number, which the gui shows to be multiplied times 40 microseconds.  I am thinking 2-4ms debounce times should be about right. There is signal cleanup hardware in the Homann speed control, I think. 

Mach does know the spindle is on; Mach is controlling the Homann PWM spindle controller very well.

You may be on the right track, the rpm does work up to about 10 rpm. Mach is only doing the PWM spindle speed at this point, axes are not moving, no G code program running.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »
Index debounce should be low, its been a long time since I used the parallel port but any time I had more than zero then I got poor readings. Some people find that somewhere up to 10 is what they need but it will , I suppose, all be dependant on what hardware you are using.
Hood

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
I would think with a possible rpm of 24000 and a single pulse per revolution, the debounce would have to be very low as Hood is saying.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
24000?  air spindle? Sherline spindle is 2800 or 1400 rpm max.... It looks like my best bet is to try older versions of Mach....

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
mach 3 spindle rpm display
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
I believe Sherline also has a 10,000 rpm option. There is more TIR on that spindle IIRC.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
Older versions of Mach are unlikely to help as even if you use the Timing input then I seem to recall one had to be larger than the others and that was treated as the Index.
Hood
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
thanks, I could maybe use tape to make one larger; any idea where to get older (than 2013 on the ftp site) versions of Mach?

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
mach 3 spindle rpm display
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »
The Mach site has an area with previous versions IIRC. I have been using a strip of electrical tape for a lot longer than I anticipated. It works.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 03:15:47 AM »
The versions on the ftp go way back to the beginning, the dates at the side are not version dates but rather must be when the ftp was set up or re-organised.
Still think you are farting against thunder when trying to use an older version to get this to work, my thoughts are to set up something you know will work rather than trying to make this work. Just my opinion of course ;)

Hood
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »
thanks to all; I tried an old version and backlash was broken there. It seemed to me that rpm was likely to work, and fairly important.  But I do have the hardware DRO unit; I guess I'll go with that.