Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:22:47 AM

Author Topic: mach 3 spindle rpm display  (Read 20824 times)

mach 3 spindle rpm display
« on: October 19, 2013, 03:43:05 PM »
Hello all - I have Demo R3.043.066, Sherline mill setup, Sherline/Wettroth DRO and six-sector sensor, Homann DC-04 speed control (pulse width modulation) and spindle rpm sensor interface, CNC4PC breakout boards, Win7.

Power to the hardware DRO spindle sensor is from the Homann boards.

Spindle rpm sensor wiggles the input in mach with manual motion. After trying index and "multi" inputs, many ways, I cannot get any rpm display in Mach.  Varied the debounce, active high/low, pullup/pulldown resistors, everything I could think of. I tried masking the multi sector spindle disk to one sector.

I don't see how Mach knows if the index is single or multi per revolution.

I'm a newbie, probably it is me.

TerryS

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: mach 3 spindle rpm display
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:48:26 PM »
You can only use Index in Mach now as Timing is no longer used.
For Index it is 1 slot per rev although having more will jus show as multiple revs per true rev. One thing however is it may be that the slots are too narrow and close for Mach to see if there are multiple slots.
What is your Index Debounce set to?
Are you telling Mach the spindle is on by calling M3/M4 or pressing the spindle button?
If you want to attach your xml I will have a look through it to see if I see a problem.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »
thanks, yes on M3, index debounce has been set at 100, 75, 50, 25...

xml attached; newbie so it might be something you wouldn't normally expect.

TerryS

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
Are you sure that is the correct xml? There is no index set up in that one at all. Also no spindle set up either.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »
Hmm - I start mach with the desktop icon named tasmill.  So I assume this is the correct xml file, at ...Program_Files\Mach.
I have enabled a port/pin for index.  I have gone through the spindle setup page.  The original xml was sherline_mill_inch, I believe. Sherline_mill_inch does look different, tasmill seems to be formatted poorly, not sure why.

Maybe I need to start over with sherline_mill_inch, try adding spindle outputs and inputs again? Lots of reconfiguration/repetition/tries may have hosed the xml file?

Terrys

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 05:38:26 AM »
Unless you told Mach to install to Programme Files then the location will be just C:\Mach3

Hood
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »

ok, program files is not in the path; also, the icon .exe doesn't point at an xml file of the same base name(I thought it did) therefore my current xml file is this one:

Hard for me to read, many fields are effectively misnamed by the code? Hopefully one does not have to resort to editing the xml files.....but, maybe that's the way, start with sherline_mill_inch, configure with the gui, then edit xml to achieve PWM spindle speed control and spindle index rpm display? Or else what to do(only) in the gui to get PWM and rpm display?

TerryS

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »
Yo dont edit the xml at all, you do it all within Mach, and when you close Mach it writes the settings to the xml.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »
thanks, I'm not sure, but it appears that only setting the index input pin is required for proper rpm display; however, that is not working on my install/config. If I want the multi-sector sensor for the hardware Wettroth DRO, looks like I would need two sensors and two sensor disk patterns, also.

TerryS

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
Sorry I am not following what you are meaning.
Mach requires a single pulse per rev. Also if using the parallel port rather than an external controller, the pulse has to be long enough for the driver to see, if your disc is small diameter and has more than one slot you may have problems.
Hood