Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:13:00 AM

Author Topic: Easy way to add a "Safety" to the Spindle button on the standard lathe screen?  (Read 4014 times)

I've had a few near misses using the lathe lately when turning the spindle on/off via the button on the standard lathe screen with a mouse.  I'm out of inputs and can't add a manual button 'til I figure out what new hardware phase 2 of the conversion will have.

I'd like to make the spindle button function only when the Shift or Ctrl button is pressed along with the mouse click.  I guess this will require using a screen designer program? :'(

There are times when I've clicked the spindle on when deburring or polishing manually, clicked the spindle off and forgot to move the cursor off the Spindle button.  A few minutes later I've dropped something onto or bumped the mouse accidentally and ZING, off goes the spindle and any thing in it.  Not cool.  So far no chuck keys, hands or eyes have been damaged but I know my time's a'comin' if I don't do something now.

I've looked in Config but the only thing I saw was "Use Key Clicks."  What does that do?
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
I can't help you but I agree that using a key along with the mouse would be much safer. I interlocked the enclosure doors with the spindle because I want my 10 year old grandson to run the machine safely but would make it even safer, for the machine!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
I do not know of any way directly with the mach3 screen set to do what you need.

You CAN setup a hotkey for the spindle ON/off button that will require 2 hotkeys pressed to do the function

Control & F5  for example can control the spindle button.

Does the Lathe side NOT use a hotkey for the spindle?

Just a thought, (;-) TP
Thanks T; I've come a long way since day 1 with Mach but unfortunately I'm not sure what you mean by "hotkey" or how to make one.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
I looked at the turn screen AND it uses the "S"Key as a hotkey to turn the spindle ON/OFF so that you do not need to use the mouse to do that function.

You CAN change that hotkey to USE 2 keys at the same time Say Control & S

Normally just using the S key would give you a layer of safety over the mouse .

(;-) TP
AWESOME, I didn' know dat!  Thanks; I think I can train myself to use "S" for spindle and not alter anything.  Another example of Mach being correctly written and the user not being properly edumacated. ;D
How is a single S key safe?  What if you started typing without thinking and hit the S?  Now Ctrl S, Alt S would at least require two keys at the same time.  I think I'm going to do it that way.
I agree, 2 keys are much safer than one but using the "S" key helps me right now & is safer than using the mouse & forgetfully leaving the cursor on the button.  I'll definitely change to your method when you post how to do it.  (Please)  :)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
That is why I always use the Fkeys (F1-24) for action hotkeys. Anything that does a hot start of motion gets a 2 key start function. 

(;-) TP