Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:32:04 PM

Author Topic: New Spindle Setup - Help appreciated  (Read 3467 times)

New Spindle Setup - Help appreciated
« on: October 10, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
I am hoping the group here can help me with a problem that I am having.

I am having issue getting my spindle to run correctly whether I select CW or CCW rotation.
I am just setting up the spindle control for the first time.  Up to this point my spindle has been controlled manually at the machine.

Here is my setup.  I have a LittleMachineShop 3900 Mini Mill (Sieg SX2).  It has a brushless motor for the spindle so I am using the LittleMachineShop 4213 spindle control board.  I have it connected to a CNC4PC C11G BOB.  I have attached my XML file for reference as well.  Wiring is per diagram Chris provided with the LMS 4213 spindle.

So using the XML posted I can get the spindle to turn CCW (M4) at whatever speed I choose.  All good here.  I can shut off the spindle with M5.  However, when I go to turn CW (M3) I get no response at the spindle.
So I started trying to figure out the setup a bit more.  I have the following core setup:

MY SETUP
Kernal Speed            35,000                   

Motor Outputs                     

Enabled      Step Pin #  Dir Pin #    Dir Low      Step Low     Step port    Dir Port
Spindle         Y                14             0               X               X                2               0

Output Signals                     

Enabled    Port#         Pin#           Active Low         
Output1         Y             2               1                X         
Output2         Y             2               16              X         
ChargePump   X             2               17              X         

Spindle Setup                     

CW               Output1               
    CCW             Output2               

Spindle motor output - YES            
    Step/Dir Motor - YES               

Spindle Motor Tuning                     

Steps Per    Velocity      Acceleration  Step Pulse     Dir Pulse      
                  1000           1500         31.25               3            0       

Pin   Type         Output      
Start/Stop                    16              Electromechanical Relay                 2      
Forward/Reverse          1                A/C Solid State Relay                     1      
AVI (SPEED)                14              Analog Output (0-10V)                   Spindle      

I based this loosely on the CNC4PC sample XML and the manuals for the C11G and the 4213.

Now, if I add a Dir Pin of 1 to the spindle setup on Port 2, I can get the spindle to turn CW using the M3, but the M4 will turn for a bit and then stop.

I would like to be able to use M3 and M4 as necessary for tapping.

Anyway, I am open to any thoughts and ideas as I am by no means a Mach expert (just learning as I go along).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:18:32 PM by bhouin »
Re: New Spindle Setup - Help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »
Here is some additional information:

When I give a M3 S2000 the BOB has lights on pin 1 and 14 and the diagnostic page shows Output1 highlighted

When I give a M4 S2000 the BOB has lights on pin 14 and 16 and the diagnostic page shows Output2 highlighted

The M3 command does not have any affect at the spindle.

The M4 command moves the spindle CCW appropriately.

I am attaching the wiring diagram that I used for the connection between the C11G and the 4213.  The only thing not shown on the diagram is that I have the Charge pump off and a jumper between the 5v and the EN to enable the board with the charge pump off.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:06:55 PM by bhouin »
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
In the Spindle Setup CW is set to 1 and CCW is set to 2.

If I understand the process right an M3 would trigger Output 1 which is tied to pin 1 to flip the For/Rev switch for the 4213 For/Rev input (per attached diagram).  However, I would also think that it needs to turn on pin 16 in order to turn the spindle on.  I think this is where my issue sits as I don't see pin 16 on at that point.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »
Arturo at CNC4PC helped me with the solution.  I had my Mach3 setup almost right :)  I needed to put 16 on output1, set both CCW and CW to output1 and put 1 in the Spindle Dir Pin#.  I am now getting solid operation in both a CW and CCW mode.  WHOO HOO!!

Arturo was extremely helpful and I can't recommend his products highly enough!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »
Setup should have looked like this:

MY SETUP
Kernal Speed            35,000                   

Motor Outputs                     

Enabled      Step Pin #  Dir Pin #    Dir Low      Step Low     Step port    Dir Port
Spindle         Y                14             1               X               X                2               2

Output Signals                     

Enabled    Port#         Pin#           Active Low         
Output1         Y             2               16               X         
ChargePump   X             2               17              X         

Spindle Setup                     

CW               Output1               
    CCW             Output1

Spindle motor output - YES             
    Step/Dir Motor - YES               

Spindle Motor Tuning                     

Steps Per    Velocity      Acceleration  Step Pulse     Dir Pulse       
                  1000           1500         31.25               3            0       

Pin   Type         Output     
Start/Stop                    16              Electromechanical Relay                 2     
Forward/Reverse          1                A/C Solid State Relay                     1     
AVI (SPEED)                14              Analog Output (0-10V)                   Spindle