Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:44:55 AM

Author Topic: Newbee limit switch false trigger problem  (Read 12209 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Newbee limit switch false trigger problem
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »
Thanks Hood and John!

iqbal, listen to Hood and John, they give as solid advice as you will find.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Newbee limit switch false trigger problem
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »
Brett does too. Even when dead tired solving the rest of our problems!
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
So finally
Removed the debounce from Mach3
Changed the debounce in SS from 500 us to 10 us.
Added four 0.1 uf caps to each of the inputs.

The system is able to home correctly on all 3 axis.

One small thing that would have really helped, if the limits lights on the diagnostic page were sticky. That is, once its set, it remains set until its cleared.
A small momentary noise spike will trigger the limit, but there is no visual indication on the panel that such an event has occurred . That kept me wondering as to what the problem could be.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »
One small thing that would have really helped, if the limits lights on the diagnostic page were sticky. That is, once its set, it remains set until its cleared.
A small momentary noise spike will trigger the limit, but there is no visual indication on the panel that such an event has occurred . That kept me wondering as to what the problem could be.

That's exactly how they work now. The led comes on when the input is active and turns off when it is deactivated. The problem is you either have bouncy switches or your picking up noise. This can have the same effect as turning the input on and off faster than you can see and/or faster than your graphics can update. Kind of hard to program for something that doesn't work as it should. If you had to add 4 caps to each input and set the debounce to 10 in the SS you need to look at the link in my first reply.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
The switches have mechanical hysteresis, they are certainly not bouncy.
They have contact noise, but once they change state they stay set.

The diagnostic page is limited as a visual guide. A trace file recording the events can also help. Especially if some event like that is triggered during a long job run.

Iqbal

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »

I don't think it is necessary to "latch" the LED's on.
The message ticker on the main screen notifies you as to what the fault condition was.
External E-Stop requested ... or ... Limit Switch triggered Mach goes into E-Stop either way then requires a RESET.
The ticker is a great diagnostic tool.
IIRC,
Russ
 :)
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
Yes, both of you are right. And this is good learning experience for me.

The limit switch was triggered continuously and immediately after enabling the limits, without the yellow lights lighting up even once.
I was trusting the yellow light more than the ticker.

In hindsight since the ticker is sticky, its much more reliable than the flicker of the yellow light.

Iqbal