Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:45:54 PM

Author Topic: home postion  (Read 2236 times)

home postion
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:29:16 AM »
Good day:

I am getting a little confused. It might be because I have read to much and should just have gone with the first article I came across.

Where to you home your milling table?

I homed it with z axis at the top, X axis all the way to the right and the Y axis all the way forward. Is this correct? I have just finished reading an article that says y axis is homed all the way back and another that says x axis all the way to the left.  Help is there a normal accepted method?

Finally on a side note I am trying to work through the Mach videos,(they are great) and was wondering the video shows setting software to mm I am using inches. Is the road runner gcode set for inches or mm as it is huge on the screen compared to my table size. If it does make a diff is there a version of the road runner in  inches or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your reply and help (I am sure I'll have many more questions to come lol)

C

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: home postion
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:21:08 AM »
Normal practice for machine zero is X and Y fully negative and Z fully positive.
That however does not mean you actually have to home to those positions, it may be more convenient to home to the opposite ends of travel.
For example you may have a knee mill so having the Y axis towards you when homed will make more sense as it means you can load the vice/table easier. If you homed that way it would mean Y was fully positive when homed, you can however still have Mach set the machine coords up as per normal practice.
What you would do in that situation is set a Home Off value equal to the distance the Y is away from fully negative. Then when you home the Y would be set to that value instead of Zero and Mach would still know exactly where the machine zero was.

Regarding the roadrunner, there are no units called in the code but it is written in Imperial units, it is approx 7inch by 6inch.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »
Good morning:

Thank you for your reply.  The homing issue now makes sense. THANK YOU!

In regards to road runner the final unit being 6 x7 now makes sense.  That why part of it is off my table box. My taig mill only 10.5 x 4.5 inches.

I guess I should re-watch videos I thought it said in video one units set in mm and in homing setup the soft stops were set to 0 and 100. I thought that meant  100 mm .
So doing quick math I worked that out to 4 x 4 inches so should have fit on my table. Is the 100 an error should that read 1000 or did I miss something. Almost to old to learn but trying.

Thanks for being patient answering us dummies!

c

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
I am not sure about the videos, dont think I have looked at many of them but likely some will have been done by Art and some by Brian.
Art is the founder of Mach and is Canadian and most likely uses metric units like the rest of the civilised world,  Brian is American so he likely uses the antiquated imperial system ;D

Hood