Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:34:08 AM

Author Topic: USB usage  (Read 2632 times)

USB usage
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »
I got a CNC machine a while ago and am a licensed user of the Mach software may be a little out of date since I haven't had a lot of time to use it recently and I have a basic question. So don't flame on me if it is too basic or it is a well repeated question. I looked around on the site and a lot has changed and I am wondering my system uses the parallel port for the data transfer from my PC to the CNC machine and I was wondering if it can be to use the USB port instead and if so what does it take to so I was looking at another CNC machine and it has USB on it so I was wondering if I could use the Mach software via just the USB port.

IF so could some one please let me know somewhat in detail exactly what I would need to make this work.

Thank you and I apologize if I am just out of times with the version of this software

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: USB usage
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:24:06 AM »
You can use the USB or Ethernet port if you use an external controller such as SmoothStepper, CSMIO, Kflop, DSPMC, Pokeys etc etc.
Ethernet is a better choice in my opinion.

Hood
Re: USB usage
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:35 AM »
Another USB option is the UC-100 from CNC4PC (http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=481)

I have one in service and another on order.  I also have and use a USB SmoothStepper. 

The UC-100 is simpler to install and use IMO, but the SS is more versatile. 

Regards,
John Champlain